When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction “vintage” bikes

-

partsguy

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I got in the hobby for many reasons. One was the unique and beautiful style of these vehicles which are no longer built. Quality bikes built in America or Europe. I feel like the wave of tacky, gaudy, poor quality junk from big box stores has robbed these vintage rides of their unique style, maybe even devalued the lesser known vintage brands.

Why put the work in to restore a classic or search to find an affordable rider when the public can buy a brand new “it looks like an American Pickers” bike from Walmart or Target? It really upsets me to think of all the old iron that gets scrapped or parted because people keep buying these cheap knock-offs and don’t care to actually own a real bike. I would be tinkled pink to see them all put in a scrap baler. I actually have had people ask if my bikes are “real”. It really puts into my head how this crap pulls the wool over people.

I see it all the time. Scrap from Walmart or Target being marketed at a premium, covered in rust mind you, as “VINTAGE”! I get sick of seeing these ads from lazy people. If the serial number tag has a website on it, does one seriously believe it is OLD? I am even seeing this crap posted here every so often.

What is everyone’s thoughts?

1FF45A9A-FAC9-4107-98CF-C9F07B82C20E.jpeg

22F822B0-56D3-44AF-B09B-BC7FD460E6A4.jpeg

45ED8B67-4C0F-4C15-833B-AEF07063D296.jpeg

A6210F6B-B8AB-4145-9A18-897312FC5B8F.jpeg

I'm not a fan of the repop cruisers myself, but I don't think they "devalue" the vintage stuff or the hobby. I think it actually promotes it. The guy that drools over the vintage stuff will never be happy with a repop. And the repop rider just wants a cool bike, he or she is not as in to vintage and never will be, but just wants a affordable cool bike to ride. Nothing wrong with that. Every hobby has seen the new old stuff produced to capture that niche. Distressed vintage look alike guitars are one. The price of originals is now through the roof because everyone wants an original. Always be a market for vintage original stuff.

If I were to buy one of these, I would have to buy a whole new set of wrenches, sockets, ant nut drivers. All metric. Besides a quick glance, the metric nuts and bolts are dead giveaways. Most have gotten away from slotted screws and gone to phillip's head.

I think there's room and purpose for originals, reproductions, frankenbikes, homemade, It's all good.
The only thing that would bother me is someone taking a nice old valuable bike and then destroy it, either trashing it, modifying, etc. Sell it to a collector who will appreciate it.
The great thing about the reproductions is someone could ride and enjoy it. If it got damaged or stolen no great loss.
Imagine if Ford, GM, Chrysler made a reproduction '69 Cuda, Mustang, Trans Am, etc with carburetor, same motor. It'll never happen (EPA & safety standards).
A few years ago a friend who runs a box truck delivery service had to move a 20 something who inherited her grandparents home. He arrives at this beautiful old estate handed down generations. He hears all this noise...the girl is throwing things down basement steps. Wants everything go to dump. Friend shows me in truck...loaded with priceless antiques all destroyed.
A few things I brought home and repaired, Chippendale furniture that's gorgeous.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Walmart retro and reproduction "vintage" bikes have their place in the world but do not hurt true vintage and antique bicycle collecting in any way I can think of. Different customers alltogether. Everybody here knows the difference and collects what they like. People shoping at wamart for a cheap rider that looks cool are not interested in wrenching on a vintage bike or willling to pay for a true vintage classic. They may however gain an interest in vintage bikes and eventually join the ranks of vintage bike collecting. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery after all.

Is this supposed to be a reproduction of a vintage bike?
I bought it at an Estate sell for $25, thinking my son might ride it. I thought wrong as it sits in my storage shed . Nor a bad riding bike. The cup / cell phone holder are neat.
I just dont want to ride around being a "poser":p
20200501_121256.jpg

One more question
Why is it that the 1995 Schwinn Phantoms are listed on CL more than the original?
Thanks

Back