When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction 28" tires

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dayton Vintage Speed

Look Ma, No Hands!
I'm looking for reproduction 28" single tube tires. I've found Robert Dean's contact info and sent him an email. Are there any others making 28" turn of the century reproduction single tube tires?

There are some solid rubber tires around but if you plan on riding it these aren't gonna work. I'd just go with the Deans unless you want to have some custom made wood clinchers made. Then you can run modern rubber. Anyway you go it won't be cheap. V/r Shawn

Dean's tires are $175. each, shipping included. Dean's tires are a vast improvement over the old Harper tires and you should be well pleased with them. They are available in black, white and red, smooth or ribbed tire treads. Remember that they need to be glued on the rim and should be heated up first so that they can stretch onto the rim. It is also a good idea to chisel a little wood around the valve stem hole for clearance. Look closely at the tire's valve stem for what I am talking about.

A-Dugast in the Netherlands also makes tubulars.
https://a-dugastusa.com/products/small-bird-all-around
9ADEA5F0-3687-46CE-8EBE-AF50E03D078B.jpeg

These are pipestrello 32s in blackwall, roughly 1-1/4” unglued for display on my 1901 National racer. They are vastly more lightweight than the Robert Deans on my other 28” bikes. They go flat every few months because I probably over tightened the valve stem.

I prefer The RDs for anything I want to actually ride. They are so thick, It would be very difficult to puncture them in spite of being for display only.
980C60A1-6B40-4F64-BCDA-70C45B612501.jpeg

A-Dugast in the Netherlands also makes tubulars.
https://a-dugastusa.com/products/small-bird-all-around
View attachment 911381

These are pipestrello 32s in blackwall, roughly 1-1/4” unglued for display on my 1901 National racer. They are vastly more lightweight than the Robert Deans on my other 28” bikes. They go flat every few months because I probably over tightened the valve stem.

I prefer The RDs for anything I want to actually ride. They are so thick, It would be very difficult to puncture them in spite of being for display only.
View attachment 911385
Pipistrellos have been discontinued all sizes and colors. They go flat because of the lightweight latex tubes, not as leaky as heavier butyl rubber found in recreational wheels. They could be treated with a sealer injection.

Pipistrellos have been discontinued all sizes and colors. They go flat because of the lightweight latex tubes, not as leaky as heavier butyl rubber found in recreational wheels. They could be treated with a sealer injection.
Thanks for the information!
What is the best type of sealer to look for.
Certainly not the dreaded 16oz can of Fix a Flat? !

Thanks for the information!
What is the best type of sealer to look for.
Certainly not the dreaded 16oz can of Fix a Flat? !
I mis spoke... The latex tubes are not as leak proof as a butyl tube on rec bikes but preferred for racing due to weight. They seep naturally. They typically need a pump every day on your rider. I've never sealed a tubular but if you go to bike forums or a site for roadies there is likely a conversation on it.

Back