When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction OD Grips on Ebay

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
There are more Grips on Ebay. Apparently there is a new supply. They are very nice. Very well made. The mold was perfect. I don’t know if they are worth what I paid especially since I thought they were NOS. Not reproductions. They are worth 50 to 75 probably. I do wish the seller had been more forthcoming in his description and stated they were new production. But whatever.

Well, I contacted the seller again and asked him to list them as reproductions( which they are per an email from the seller) in his listing so that no one else would mistake them for originals. He proceeded to accuse me of calling him dishonest. He also wrote quote ''I spent weeks of my time orchestrating a small run of these grips and if I sold 10 sets at the price the last auction sold for I would barely break even.'' If this is true then this guy has a lot of money in these grips and needs to sell them at a price much higher then what a set of reproduction grips would normally bring. It would seem that the seller has his reason for being vague in the description!! I hope that I am mistaken, but I do not think that he will revise his description to make it absolutely clear to all that these grips are reproductions. They may be very good repro's, but repro's none the less. They should be selling at repro prices and not at almost original prices.
Remember BUYER BEWARE!!!

Is this the seller? stearman_325 http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=323348534613
G519 Grips.jpg

Yes that is the seller. Thanks HuffmanBill for making the effort to get the post updated. Its one thing to mislead someone without intention but this seller seems quite aware. I doubt he will update his post based on his response to you. It seems as if he has at least 10 sets though? ... if I read into that.

Anyways, when I asked on the original listing if they were NOS, this was his response: "They are reproductions created from a flawless NOS original and color matched to an original grip dated 12 July 1943. Molded in rigid plastic as original in the exact original color. "

followed up by: "It’s probably worth mentioning that these were made by a professional shop with all the proper equipment and all the best materials. They weren’t made by some collector in his basement or garage. These parts are perfect in shape, size, finish and color. "

He does seem to have a good ebay rating though.

The ebay rating does not amount to a hill of beans in situations like this. I went through the first six pages of his transactions and most were purchases. Of the ones that were sales all seemed to be for old MOPAR car stuff. The fact remains that this guy has been informed that his listing needs to be revised and clarified so that no doubt exists regarding the fact that these grips, no matter how well they are made, are in fact reproductions, nothing more - nothing less. It was his choice to over pay to have them made and as for me I don't want to be tricked into overpaying for repro's so he can make his money back. I would suspect that others in this forum would feel the same way that I do. Also, don't get me wrong, there is a place in our hobby for good reproductions, especially when the originals are so difficult to locate and in many instances sooooo expensive. My beef is that in situations like this the potential buyer should have a right to know, by way of a clearly written and honest description, what they may be buying!

Well, it looks like the second set of the repro. grips went for $168.50 plus shipping. With all due respect to GPWPAT ( I trust his grandfather saw and loved his restoration) that is unbelievable! I will give the buyer the benefit of the doubt and assume that because of the vague description he was under the impression that the Grips were original? If that is what reproduction grips will bring now, no matter how well they are made, then I will have to seriously think about listing a couple sets of my originals at $400.00 a set! HaHa, just kidding, none of my originals are for sale. However, you do get the point.

I messaged the seller as well and told him I thought it was misleading not to indicate that these are reproductions. Got the explanation that reproduction implies some cheap crap made in someones basement story. Obviously he has never seen any of John's stuff. Got a feeling it will take one disgruntled seller to get him to see the light and label these for what they are. If these are truly that good then say something like "reproductions made to exacting standards at great cost and accurate in every aspect". V/r Shawn

I messaged the seller as well and told him I thought it was misleading not to indicate that these are reproductions. Got the explanation that reproduction implies some cheap crap made in someones basement story. Obviously he has never seen any of John's stuff. Got a feeling it will take one disgruntled seller to get him to see the light and label these for what they are. If these are truly that good then say something like "reproductions made to exacting standards at great cost and accurate in every aspect". V/r Shawn

That is basically the same reply I received. His excuse for not listing these grips as reproductions because that would imply cheaply made in some ones basement is '' ONE BIG LOAD OF CRAP'' and a very transparent excuse for not clearly describing them as reproductions. He is playing on the emotions of the buyer that wants to believe they must be original because the description does not say otherwise. Good for you Freqman1, and thank you for trying to get this guy to do the right thing!

For anyone interested. The 3rd set of Recent manufactured G519 handlebar grips have been listed by stearman_325. See ebay listing #323370285081. He has increased the starting bid to $65.00 and most importantly has made no attempt to clarify the description. It is the same as the previous two listings. Make no mistake, if you plan to bid, these are recent manufacture reproduction grips. They are well made, but reproductions none the less. Bid accordingly.

Back