When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction Troxel Toolbox Saddle?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Brian R.

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I wrote to Brooks, the iconic English maker of leather bicycle saddles, asking if they would consider making a "Brooks version" of the Troxel toolbox saddle. Below is my email to them, followed by their reply:

Hi. Would you please consider manufacturing a Brooks version of the iconic "Troxel Toolbox" saddle? A Google Image search will show you what it looks like. It was the premium saddle of the 1930s streamlined era, is very rare and very sought after today, with examples bringing $600 and up, if you can even find one. The market for a new Brooks version would include thousands of vintage bike collectors worldwide and makers of new "retro" cruiser bikes. I would pay $350 CDN for one, if it were available. -B.R.

Dear Brian R.

Thank you for getting in touch. Unfortunately, this isn't something that we would be able to do for various reasons - such as copyright, the machinery involved for that type of product, marketing, etc.
Kind regards,
B1866

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone on this site considered approaching any other bicycle seat manufacturers with this request? A few years ago, some fellow vintage car enthusiasts I was in touch with got together and made a group order to have ball joints specially manufactured in China in a small batch - 250 I think. With the high demand, low supply, and ridiculous prices for these saddles, can someone come up with a way to get them reproduced somewhere by some company willing to do it?

I don't know if you telling them you would pay $350 canadian was actually a good move, most of their high end seats are selling for more than that and the Toolbox seat requires a lot more work,
and copyright infringement is a big issue

I think you over estimate the market. Given research and tooling cost this would be a money loser. People have reproduced the Schwinn "Pogo" seat and the horizontal Lobdell seat and I don't think any of them got rich from the "thousands of vintage bike collectors worldwide". This goes for other rare parts that have been reproduced as well. V/r Shawn

image.jpeg
Some good points, thanks. But saddles from Brooks are not more than $350. If you go to their site you will see that their most expensive vintage style saddle, with big 'motorbike' springs is €160. At today's rates this converts to $245 CDN according to the Bank of Canada website.

I was surprised to discover that the Troxel company still exists, so I suppose copyright might still be an issue these many years later.

I need a streamlined saddle for my 1937 Flo-Cycle. It doesn't have to be a toolbox saddle. I will attach a photo of one without the toolbox. Does anyone know the history behind this type, and how rare they are? At this point I'm thinking my best bet is to make one myself by buying an old Troxel saddle and forming new leather around it.

That's not a bad idea, Evans2000. Here is what The Troxel Company says about their history from their website:

A History of Value
Founded in 1898, The Troxel Company gained a reputation for excellence as America’s premier producer of bicycle seats and accessories. Since that time, the company has evolved into a major manufacturer of welded steel tubing specializing in a wide array of value-added services. Most recently, we’ve expanded into the automotive tubing product sector. We offer the best value in tubing and fabricated products, including assembled goods and components, roll forms, stampings, powder coated tubular components, and mill length and cut to length tubing. Troxel has a reputation for the highest product quality and lowest conversion cost in the industry.

From this description I gather that they still have the facility and know-how to reproduce this saddle if they chose to do so. They are 118 years old - perhaps I will contact them suggesting they could reproduce the saddle in a limited number as a way to celebrate their 120th or 125th anniversary.

Back