When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repurposed antique 26" bike wheel, should it remain repurposed or restored?

-

Slick4d4d

Finally riding a big boys bike
So I found this antique bike wheel, repurposed into a gaming wheel, at a local flea market, the approximate measurements are 26" diameter, 4" hub width (not include bolt ends) and 1.5" rim width. As you can see it has a wood ring, missing a piece, screwed to it. They did a clean job attaching the wood, so it could be removed leaving only a few small holes. The questions are, can anyone identify this rim and is it worth trying to restore or should it be left as found?

20180523_205933.jpg

20180523_205950.jpg

20180523_205957.jpg

20180523_210047.jpg

20180523_210128.jpg

Looks like a Sulky wheel, not bicycle. Horse racing:D.. But, just my lone opinion
The sulky (informally known as a "bike"),,hmmm

Probably was a gambling device
how wide is the hub? You can check this against a bicycle hub- if t is much wider then you have a sulky, or non bicycle wheel- Good wall hanger for the cave

Probably was a gambling device
how wide is the hub? You can check this against a bicycle hub- if t is much wider then you have a sulky, or non bicycle wheel- Good wall hanger for the cave

The hub is 4" wide, not including the axel shafts going through it. It is a cool piece as a gaming wheel, but if it is a bike wheel I would like to know it's history and if it could be used to help put a vintage bike back on the road, that would be even cooler!

Back