When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repurposed antique 26" bike wheel, should it remain repurposed or restored?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Slick4d4d

Finally riding a big boys bike
So I found this antique bike wheel, repurposed into a gaming wheel, at a local flea market, the approximate measurements are 26" diameter, 4" hub width (not include bolt ends) and 1.5" rim width. As you can see it has a wood ring, missing a piece, screwed to it. They did a clean job attaching the wood, so it could be removed leaving only a few small holes. The questions are, can anyone identify this rim and is it worth trying to restore or should it be left as found?

20180523_205933.jpg

20180523_205950.jpg

20180523_205957.jpg

20180523_210047.jpg

20180523_210128.jpg

Looks like a Sulky wheel, not bicycle. Horse racing:D.. But, just my lone opinion
The sulky (informally known as a "bike"),,hmmm

Probably was a gambling device
how wide is the hub? You can check this against a bicycle hub- if t is much wider then you have a sulky, or non bicycle wheel- Good wall hanger for the cave

Probably was a gambling device
how wide is the hub? You can check this against a bicycle hub- if t is much wider then you have a sulky, or non bicycle wheel- Good wall hanger for the cave

The hub is 4" wide, not including the axel shafts going through it. It is a cool piece as a gaming wheel, but if it is a bike wheel I would like to know it's history and if it could be used to help put a vintage bike back on the road, that would be even cooler!

Back