When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Request for photos of head light for 59-60 Schwinn Jaguar

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

T1Callahan

Look Ma, No Hands!
Does anyone have or can take some detailed photos of the Light that came on the 59-60 Jaguar Mark IV. My refurb is nearly done, but the light I bought on eBay is not correct- though I'm sure its close and most people wouldn't know. With all the after market headlights that were manufactured through the years replicating the look of original light (theres even an LED version on amazon today for 13 bucks), its hard to tell on eBay if I should be bidding on a light, especially if I have not seen one in person close up to know what to look for. The one I bought is fine, and replicates the look ok; it is an older one probably from the 80's with C batteries and incandescent bulb and bracket made in Japan, but I know its not original because the insides are too new. If you also have a photo of what the insides should look like that may also help me and others who may be trying to find correct parts. I also know at some point they transitioned to the Schwinn Pumpkin light as I have seen this on the 64' models, but Im not sure what year they started.

The '59 Jaguar used Schwinn lamp #8183. Don't know if this will get you any closer but I gave it a shot.

1574351935385.png

Check out this eBay listing. It's a Corvette but the Jag used the same light.

Check out this eBay listing. It's a Corvette but the Jag used the same light.

Thanks for the link those photos are pretty decent. I zoomed in, and I may have found one on a huffy no less on offer up just a bit ago. Compare it to the zoomed photo. Going to ask if I can get a better shot. I can buy the light and get the bike for free.

The one I bought originally and have now is smaller.

As mentioned by GTs58 the Jaguar OG light was made in Italy by CEV and was the Hi/Lo beam version (two bulbs). Here are some pics inside and out of the correct light. The light was stock on my customer's one owner 59 Jag.
1574419827836.png

j42.jpg

j159.jpg

As mentioned by GTs58 the Jaguar OG light was made in Italy by CEV and was the Hi/Lo beam version (two bulbs). Here are some pics inside and out of the correct light. The light was stock on my customer's one owner 59 Jag.
View attachment 1099588

View attachment 1099589

View attachment 1099590
These are great pics I can use for comparison. Is the lens plastic? As a side note, while I was studying the ebay listing GTs58 sent, I just noticed the headbadge is a starburst, not the normal black and white one I bought. And they are so expensive... I only paid a couple hundred for the whole bike but a new correct badge and light will double the cost. I think I’m obsessed now .., this is my first vintage but I’m guessing it’s how it goes.

These are great pics I can use for comparison. Is the lens plastic? As a side note, while I was studying the ebay listing GTs58 sent, I just noticed the headbadge is a starburst, not the normal black and white one I bought. And they are so expensive... I only paid a couple hundred for the whole bike but a new correct badge and light will double the cost. I think I’m obsessed now .., this is my first vintage but I’m guessing it’s how it goes.
yes plastic...it will have CEV stamped on the lens like this.

1574434731080.png

All the best on the project.

In the event that I can't find or can't afford an original, does anyone know if there is a similar in size and shape new one on eBay or amazon they sell that is close enough to the original size and shape. For instance this one looks interesting with a high/low incandescent beam and the visor is removable. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/311589418693
I may end up buying a something for now that is close enough, until I can find one that isn't priced out of my league. I think something that is $100-150+ for just a light is too much for me- though i get why you would spend that, but its not realistic for me. I bought one from the 80s and looks wise, most won't be able to tell, but I can see the size is smaller than the original.
what is the diameter of the original?

Back