When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Request for photos of head light for 59-60 Schwinn Jaguar

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have a close to mint one on this radiant blue '59 Jag I restored in 2009. Found it at Trexlertown in a headlight grab box for $7.00. It was dirty as hell when I got it, but I saw it was nice!

IMG_1849.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

Last edited:
I think blue is my favorite color, that is gorgeous. Don't know if Ill get that lucky to find one for $9 , but if anyone has a spare they picked up for $9, but Id gladly pay double if they want to sell it. :)

These are great pics I can use for comparison. Is the lens plastic? As a side note, while I was studying the ebay listing GTs58 sent, I just noticed the headbadge is a starburst, not the normal black and white one I bought. And they are so expensive... I only paid a couple hundred for the whole bike but a new correct badge and light will double the cost. I think I’m obsessed now .., this is my first vintage but I’m guessing it’s how it goes.

The badge on that Jag is the standard issue for that time with color matching lettering. It's the large oval, not the Starburst. The Starburst came on the 61 and later Jags.

I found some info on another site or in another thread about the starburst, Apparently it started in early 1960 and ended in 1963. The info in this Schwinn news letter from April 1960 says the "starburst is now in use". Also, On my Jag, which the serial says was manufactured on 10/31/1960, has what appears to be a tough glue residue. I thought originally that the glue was because someone tried to re-attach the standard metal badge and lost the screws, but now that I found this out today, I believe the glue is because mine had the plastic Badge originally. I do now have the new B&W badge, but I need to get screws to affix it, but I'll test it tonight to see if the holes line up. From Ebay it looks like the plastic badge had alignment posts, and If I can't get the standard screws to go in or the holes don't line up with my badge I will know for sure that mine had the plastic.

If I can get my badge to attach, I will probably just do so, and call it a day. Especially since there were probably some 1960's with the standard B&W, and some without.
Copy-of-1960-04-Reporter-Starburst-badge-intro-Medium.jpg

Honestly I’ve had so many different lights that I knew were factory, you could use just about any one of them and be ok. Especially on the earlier Jags they were sourcing lights of different styles all the time. Also I imagine a lot of were replaced by dealers.
Darcie

Just a note. The date associated to the serial number is not a build date of any sort. The recorded date is when the serial number was stamped on the drop out component and sometime later it was used to build a frame. There is even a chance your Jag could be a 1961 model depending on when that drop out was used to build a frame and Schwinn's production at the end of that year. The crank should have a cast in date and the fork should have a two or three number date stamp on the left leg just above the axle slot.
I'd like to see a picture of your head tube if possible. If you had that black glue on the head then it had a Starburst badge. There was only one indexing pin at the bottom of the badge for the bottom screw hole. I've seen 1960 models with both large and small head badges and it seems that year had a badge transition over all along with the new Starburst which is the smaller version.

Here is a sot of a head Tube. It also has 2 holes, and they do line up with the head badge I bought perfectly. I am glad because I didn't even realize that there were 2 sizes of the standard B&W head badge. I also included a shot of the headlamp I bought. I was not able to locate the date on the fork, but I probably need to take the wheel off to see it, and I also didn't find any dates on the crank either- Is that on the inside of the bracket?
IMG_9273.jpg

1968 cast date on this crank. The stampings on the fork leg is pretty small and hard to read or see sometimes. Wheel has to be out.

1574485508821.png

You can somewhat see the date stamping on the fork just above the slot.

Last edited:
Honestly I’ve had so many different lights that I knew were factory, you could use just about any one of them and be ok. Especially on the earlier Jags they were sourcing lights of different styles all the time. Also I imagine a lot of were replaced by dealers.
Darcie
Its a good point Darcie. I would like to find one that is an inexpensive (incandescent) clone that is closer in size. This one just seems too small. but you tell me. Still needs correct pedals as you can see, and as I found out recently the front rack is not correct. I need to be patient, these things will eventual present themselves, but its hard, as I want to see it finished.
IMG_9280.jpg

If you want originality on your 1960 Jag, let me make some comments on your last picture. Yes, your front rack is incorrect. It should be an aluminum alloy "double hinged" rack there. Plus, you need to find a set of smaller, much more narrow in width handlebars for your bike. Recheck out the pic I have posted of my blue '59. The bike is 100% correct with all the parts that are on it. The only thing , other than the headtube badge that differentiates a 1959 Jag from the 1960 model is the pedals. The non reflectorized bow pedals on a '59 are of the bolt through the rubber block type, and the 1960's utilize a larger rubber block that eliminates the need for bolts to hold it to the pedal frame.

An observation, I noticed that your headlight mounting bracket is mounted to the handlebars upside down. If you turn the bike over to work on it, you may bash the top of your headlight in as this position raises the light higher above the handlebars to the point where the bike won't rest evenly on the grips when flipped over.

Jim.

Last edited:
Back