When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resilion brake cable clone

-
I had to rebuild the headset and all 4 pedals in a hurry, because old Claud got himself a gig on a music video... so, no pictures, but the serial number on the steer tube matched the frame..

Try this link:

The theme is that he misses his girl, and the visual is the empty tandem seat.
It's wierd to watch your bike get stolen!

Last edited:

I thought this bike was pre-war, but a couple features point to 1952.View attachment 1545409
Serial number for these years is pretty well documented.
View attachment 1545410
Williams cranks dates to 1950.
Seems old, but not unusual
To have 2 yr old stock for tandem specific items..View attachment 1545411
Cyclo gears are post-war "C" designView attachment 1545413
And mid rails between chainstays and seatstays are post-war only.
Looks like you're right re. the frame number and chainsets.
In the 1940 catalogue it seems you could specify 'Resilion' s' or hub brakes, or any combination of two brakes.
In the 1952 catalogue only alloy calipers or hub brakes were being offered, but considering 'Claud Butler's' reputation for custom building to the buyers specifications it is possible I guess that someone ordered one with 'Resilion's'.
There were also 3 options on frame construction around that pre and immediately post war era but by 1952 it seems that the lugless construction was all that was available except to special order.
These things really are a minefield to determine.
But they're all at the upper end of bicycle quality.

Yes, you nailed it with the quirkiness of the historic components, considering what was available, in England by 1952.
Those days imports were taxed to death, even worse than the staggering tax on English goods, which would encourage buyers to shop at home.
It's equipped with Airlite hubs and Dunlop 26 x 1 1/4 rims. Seems the the purchaser may have had a "prewar" wish list that got held up for years by world events before he was able to place his order. Hindsight speculation can dream up many scenarios!
The real mystery is how it wound up in Canada, and never got one single upgrade over 70 years. It even has the original "shockstop" grips on both bars, which are getting pretty crumbly.

View attachment 1545438
First mid cable take-up at captain's seatpostView attachment 1545439
The final take-up fits inside the splitter housing, mounted on the stoker's seatpost, then there are two more adjustable sleeves on each canteliver to tune and centre the brake pad on the rim.
Very nice machine work, thanks for posting. I realize that you are going to great lengths to keep this bike original, so this is only a comment rather than suggestion. That final pic makes me wonder why the maker did not put a pair bell cranks there instead of those loops of cable. IIRC some bikes then were still being built with rod brakes, so not too much of a stretch.

Very nice machine work, thanks for posting. I realize that you are going to great lengths to keep this bike original, so this is only a comment rather than suggestion. That final pic makes me wonder why the maker did not put a pair bell cranks there instead of those loops of cable. IIRC some bikes then were still being built with rod brakes, so not too much of a stretch.
I think most bikes that were optioned with Resilion brakes were men's singles. Then a smattering of men's tandems...then the unicorn ladyback tandem. So in the men's version, it's just a loop down from the cross bar as opposed to the almost 180 degree loop from the seat post where a bell crank would have worked nicely.

Just a note on the age.
If that Cyclo is original, The back of the derailleur arm will have a number at the top. That is the manufacturing date of the derailleur. Im pretty sure the "C" cutout chrome derailleur bracket is post war but check the date.

Im getting ready to re-sheath a set of old WW2 era cables to replace the cloth/lacquer original sheathing.
One question I ask of your job is how the cable end nibs were removed and re-attached?
Are they simply soldered together?
Fabulous work by-the-way.

Last edited:
Back