When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration and rebirth of early Schwinn Black Phantom

-
First off, stunning restoration @bobcycles. Well done Bob. But to me, the story here is the owner’s decision to restore this specific old bike; the cost doesn’t matter, because it was his father’s. I commend that, so kudos to the proud owner of a BobU restored bike, but more importantly the pride of keeping and restoring this early Phantom gem, his father’s bike. Awesome.

Last edited:
my 1949 serial 50 Phantom has no decal or evidence of one ever being there.
That was why I asked the question. F is early production and I guess the restoration could have either been with or without the chainguard decals. Maybe there were pictures of the bike prior to someone painting over it. It is an absolutely stunning Phantom and the story makes it all the better.

What a bike!! I recall you telling me this story and now can see the finished job. Jaw dropping. The history has been re-written in paint and chrome and rubber, and it's back in the family to be enjoyed as it was originally. Well done Bob!

Last year I recieved a random email from a bike shop in Las Vegas inquiring about the restoration
possibility of a customers Black Phantom bike... Upon seeing the pix of the bike...I suggested seeking
out a decent original for 1/2 the cost of restoration of the bike, missing parts, rough shape etc.View attachment 1642566

The owner of the bike, recently retired local Culver City PD sarge, depsite the expense of doing the bike justice with original vintage parts, otped to go ahead with the project..
Bicycle belonged to his father and years back had been "restored" by some fool who screwed the
bike up entirely and even went as far as stealing the tank! "What tank?" Jeez! Bike belonged
originally to Terrys dad who rode it back in the day... even going as far as 'rescuing' it from
a police impound after being seized for no bike license back in the 70's.

I couldn't say no to taking it on...plus Terry spared no expense in doing a full resto on the
bike using no aftermarket parts, even opting for NOS Typhoon USA Tires etc.

Frame date was F 1949 so we're talking early Black Phantom project. Luckily I had
all of the missing or incorrect parts to resurrect the bike. About all there was to begin
was the frame, fork, drum brake and rear carrier.. everything else went in to the recycle bin.
Results were very satisfactory. I honestly tried to talk him out of the resto due to expense...
but some folks still highly value these old ballooners and this one is destined to 'live on'
for a verrrrrry long time.

View attachment 1642575

View attachment 1642576

View attachment 1642577

View attachment 1642578

View attachment 1642579

View attachment 1642580

View attachment 1642581

View attachment 1642582
Fantastic bike

Back