When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration and rebirth of early Schwinn Black Phantom

-
Early ads show these with a post war Mesinger B1, the early Schwinn tank decal, and NO decal on the guard. V/r Shawn

View attachment 1642993
Interesting advertisement: @Freqman1. Yet, there appears to be more that indicates an Illustrator's error. Pin Stripes on the chain guard are too fat and lack the angled brush tip mark. Pluss there's a double stripe which I believe is more indicative in earlier pre and post war Guards. The Phantoms are an extension of the prewar Deluxe autocycle series and moreover a successful name. I think too, not just the name but black and red bicycles of all types seem to stand out as most attractive.

Prewar there's differences in these pinstripes and about 1946, post war the stripes had a small change on Autocycles that are the same as 1949's phantoms. Here's 46 Autocycle as shown in the catalog. Unless my eyes fail me, its chainguard paint scheme is the very same as 49 Phantom.

1946-autocycle.jpg

So, would you also say that; first issue were so unique to that regard? I'm thinking; with a 3 year margin, at least, them there pin stripes in the ad; you're looking at an Advertiser's Illustrator error, eh?

For the sake of a debitive issue of discussion, you can take it up another level too. The 1995 Phantom repops where Schwinn tells the story, there's a claim that they'd found the 52 paint template or mask. I mean, through the years this scheme was applied, there are small differences in that brush mark but, I believe it's just a matter of wear on the mask and or typical mass manufacturing differences and that B/C they're hand applied, each worker's stripe and mark can be variable.

At my best guess, it's possible the advertiser's illustrator was lazy, unskilled and lacked attention to detail or, and may not have rights to reprint Schwinn's own illustration. Likely, moreover, that Illustrated affection, including the lack of usage of Schwinn's font in the name 'Phantom' in the print's heading,, an actual bicycle like it doesn't exist beyond this print and the 'artist's' imagination.

Last edited:
Early ads show these with a post war Mesinger B1, the early Schwinn tank decal, and NO decal on the guard. V/r Shawn

View attachment 1642993
NOTICE THE U. S. ROYAL MASTER TIRES IN THE AD! THOSE WERE CLASSIC TAKEOFFS OF
THE U. S. ROYAL MASTER AUTO TIRES OF THE TIME WITH BIG FAT WHITEWALLS AND THE
LARGE REAR REFLECTOR WAS NOT THE DELUXE REFLECTORS IN THE CHROME SHROUD.
ONLY $56.80 FROM CHICAGO CYCLE WITH THE SCHWINN FOREWHEEL DRUM BRAKE.
I HAD ONE OF THE FIRST RED PHANTOMS AND WORKED OFF THE PAYMENT IN A BIKE
SHOP AT 35 CENTS AN HOUR. AS I RECALL THE PRICE WAS $70 PLUS. I ALSO ORDERED
THE GOODYEAR DOUBLE EAGLE BLACK WALL TIRES. NO WHITE WALLS FOR ME!

Last edited:
NOTICE THE U. S. ROYAL MASTER TIRES IN THE AD! THOSE WERE CLASSIC TAKEOFFS OF
THE U. S. ROYAL MASTER AUTO TIRES OF THE TIME WITH BIG FAT WHITEWALLS AND THE
LARGE REAR REFLECTOR WAS NOT THE DELUXE REFLECTORS IN THE CHROME SHROUD.
ONLY $56.80 FROM CHICAGO CYCLE WITH THE SCHWINN FOREWHEEL DRUM BRAKE.
I HAD ONE OF THE FIRST RED PHANTOMS AND WORKED OFF THE PAYMENT IN A BIKE
SHOP AT 35 CENTS AN HOUR. AS I RECALL THE PRICE WAS $70 PLUS. I ALSO ORDERED
THE GOODYEAR DOUBLE EAGLE BLACK WALL TIRES. NO WHITE WALLS FOR ME!
The U.S. Royal Masters are a Wholly Grail in the vintage tire arena. I have been collecting, buying/selling vintage bicycle tires for decades and was lucky enough to not only get a NOS set, but with a correct application on an authentic pre-war 1941 Autocycle "The Master" Bobby U did up with an "Original" tank on board as well. I quote
"Recently completed restoration of the last year for the Schwinn "Super Deluxe" Autocycle line 1941. Roughly 25 years ago

Blair in Wisconsin (stellar stand up fellow) offered me an NOS 41 Super Deluxe Autocycle tank. Since then the tank adorned
a shelf on display until I got the bug in me to restore a bike around it. Thanks to Igrinnings here on the Cabe offering up an
NOS pair of US Royal Master WW tires some months back... the fire was ignited. over 40 years messing with balloon bikes
I had never had a chance to aquire NOS RM WWs
".

IMG_5709.JPG

IMG_5710.JPG

IMG_5732.JPG

IMG_5722.JPG

IMG_5741.JPG

IMG_5740.JPG

This bike turned out FANTAS
The U.S. Royal Masters are a Wholly Grail in the vintage tire arena. I have been collecting, buying/selling vintage bicycle tires for decades and was lucky enough to not only get a NOS set, but with a correct application on an authentic pre-war 1941 Autocycle "The Master" Bobby U did up with an "Original" tank on board as well. I quote
"Recently completed restoration of the last year for the Schwinn "Super Deluxe" Autocycle line 1941. Roughly 25 years agoView attachment 1658143

Blair in Wisconsin (stellar stand up fellow) offered me an NOS 41 Super Deluxe Autocycle tank. Since then the tank adorned
a shelf on display until I got the bug in me to restore a bike around it. Thanks to Igrinnings here on the Cabe offering up an
NOS pair of US Royal Master WW tires some months back... the fire was ignited. over 40 years messing with balloon bikes
I had never had a chance to aquire NOS RM WWs
".

View attachment 1658144

View attachment 1658145

View attachment 1658146

View attachment 1658147

View attachment 1658148

View attachment 1658149
This bike turned out FANTASTIC... Congrats on a job well done and nice SCORE on the US ROYAL Masters... 👍 👏 😀 👌

Back