When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

restoration issues

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I use a urethane clear with a hardener. It does not require any reducer. The decal residue can be cleaned off with water.
John

Well, John, I shall try. The paint and primer I will be using are Valspar's "Tractor and Implement restoration" system, a low buck, but, excellent quality enamel with hardener in the top coat. Sold at Fleet Farm. I'll procure a generic ureathane clear to shoot over the decals and paint. The '59 Tiger has primer on the frame as we speak.

One thing I'll pass along-I used gray primer, which, when combined with yesterday's gloomy conditions, and sandblasted steel, made it tough to see coverage. I suggest using a red or black primer, and will do this myself, next time.

One thing I DO KNOW is one should wait 30 days between final color coat and decal application, to allow paint solvent out-gassing to occur.

Thanks for the tips.

Ted

update on the Raleigh

Great to see this thread move to discussion of painting and clear coat - very good reading for me!

Here is an update on the Raleigh -

It's done and ready to be picked up. When I do, I will post pictures for everyone to see. I hope it looks as good as the fellow says it does. He said it rides like a new bike - and it should after repacking hubs, bearings, etc. He put a new chain on it - but I have the old. Someone posted a good way to completely get rust off of old chains - can anyone direct me to that post or repost here?

Finally - I ran across the estimate from the original California shop I first contacted but didn't use (see earlier information). I thought you all might get a kick out of the estimate totals:

Disclaimer: Prices are estimates and subject to change up to 10% of total order without notice. We reserve the right to exercise judgment in interpreting customer instructions.

Cat. 2 Finish frame with clearcoat - $375
Cat. 2 finish rigid fork with clearcoat - $55
Large part painted Cat. 2 to March - chainguard - $60
Mix approximate color match to chart or sample - $20
additional color mixing: white $30
Large Part painted Cat. 2 - Fenders, Chainguard, rack - $75
Replace decals, similar style (appropriate for frame but may not
match original) - $75
Optional pinstriping - single box on frame set nd chainguard - $225
Metalwork - straighten and fill dents: chainguard &
fenders ESTIMATE? $135
Headbadge removed and re-attached - $20

insurance value $4.95
Packaging & shipping - ground service in 2 boxes $130
CA Waste Disposal Fee (quantity 2) $10

Total estimate (without optional pinstriping) $989.95

Here are some questions for all of you who read this far:

1. If they were going to paint fenders, chainguard, and frame, what is the "rack" they included in the estimate???? Maybe that's the frame?

2. Why is there such a high cost for mixing to match white paint???

3. That dent/straighten $135 ESTIMATE? line makes me wonder what it really would have been.

Oh well - past history now. Just thought you all might enjoy the specifics.

Best,
Roger Garrett

We all 'gotta eat, I guess. I can't figure out why someone would quote $375 to shoot a frame, and not have the grace to shoot the fork at the same time? Anytime I have the spray guns out, I go with "the more, the merrier" line of thinking.

That quote with it's breakdown makes one think they were painting the White house. Or, the space shuttle.

Buyer beware.

Ted

Back