When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration vs. original

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Just wondering why so many out there are so hung up on an original bike ?? I would take a nice perfectly restored Stingray , krate , fastback any day over one that is beat up. Then again I am a perfectionist , I have actually had people upset with me over supposedly ruining an original bike by restoring it. I guess it's just one's preference. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, No Restorations Allowed All Original ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Just wondering why so many out there are so hung up on an original bike ?? I would take a nice perfectly restored Stingray , krate , fastback any day over one that is beat up. Then again I am a perfectionist , I have actually had people upset with me over supposedly ruining an original bike by restoring it. I guess it's just one's preference.

They dont want to be the oldest thing in the room! *mic drop*

Wow, Pirate that was lightning fast shipping like always! Keep it Up!
-No One

mainly into antique autos- have 14 of which 9 are hudsons. recently found at a garage sale a 26 in. girls bike. all original and in pretty decent shape. head badge says hudson, detroit mich. shown is antique plane and car. i have seen the head badge reproduction on e -bay,but know nothing of the maker. about mid. 30's. any ideas?

I just do what pleases me with my bikes. No F%#*s are given to anyone else’s opinion.
Do what pleases you, not what the hive mind says.

For me “restore” means to bring an original paint and parts bike back from the dead, it doesn’t mean repainting and new chrome on old parts. When you strip a bike and repaint it and redo the parts, that’s not a restoration, that’s basically an old bike that is all new again. In the antique world a restoration is preferred over a refinish any day of the week. It’s only original once. When a museum works on a Picasso, that is restoration, they wouldn’t dare paint over the painting! Please don’t think I mean to say a redone old bike is bad, its up to you as the owner. it’s just good to keep the terminology analogous to the antique world so we are all on the same page.

Correctly restored bikes look great till the get scratched, They just don't stand up like the original ( restored paint just chips differently ) and if you use it like a lot of us do ( ridden not hidden ) it's going to happen!, I try not to but all my bikes get scratched and as far as restoring a bike there always plenty of bikes & parts with no og paint to restore and its probably cheaper, just sell the og one. I always thought it was kinda odd how some people take pleasure in destroying a og just because the can ( is it a power thing or just showing off ) or they just don't know and think we are extreme when we suggest swapping for non og paint parts. I still cringe when I think about that og 4 gill that just needed better chrome & detailo_O and a few other! oh well, my rant of the day!

I have no opinion on anyone elses bike. Once you get it, its yours. The buyer has the right to do whatever they want. Some keep them as is, others refurbish back to working condition, and some restore 1/2 ass, others will part out, and a few take the restore all the way. The choice remains with buyer / owner.

There only original once, so If you have a rare example everytime someone does something different yours might go up in value.

If no-one parted out, it would be hard for the collectors to finish up projects.

Last edited:
Back