When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restore ?

-
I plan on restoring and would appreciate any information.
First step paint removal. I weighed out blasting vs stripper. Concerned about the anchoring effect in the steel (especially around serial #), so stripper it is.
Any recommendations on sourcing paint?
Kooleststuff has the correct paint you need and the screening process for your guard

Well, we (my nephew is getting into this project as well) decided to go with a complete restore. I checked out koolstuff paint and was wondering how important it is to use a reddish primer? I thought that’s what Schwinn had originally used?

032A17BE-0CB4-422F-A8EE-9AC9DEF9F9D4.jpeg

Reactions: JLF
Yep, Schwinn used the red oxide primer. Pete/Cool Stuff recommends the gray primer because it takes less paint to cover it when using their solid colors like Yellow and White, and maybe even their aluminum base for the candy colors.

Found a couple of frame issues, head badge holes are drilled out and I believed the stand has been drilled.
Since it’s bare metal going to weld up holes and drill correct holes.

03F47961-9A88-4868-9405-7F2CB32784BE.jpeg

412D6D82-0739-45B7-B771-28797F160A82.jpeg

It is threaded,. There was a screw threaded in to hold the kick stand Much larger than original hole for retaining pin.

Back