When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored 1959 Tiger middleweight

-

FICHT 150

Finally riding a big boys bike
Greetings! I'm a long time lurker, but, this is my first picture post. I just recently finished my first bicycle restoration, on a 1959 Tiger I purchased locally. I should qualify this by saying I have restored several muscle cars in the past, and don't consider myself an amatuer.
Photos attached.
Thanks

Ted

Attachments

• phpaLkwsxPM.jpg
    phpaLkwsxPM.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 109
  • phpU7ubtYAM.jpg
    phpU7ubtYAM.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 133
The front braces are original to the bike. I glass beaded them, and painted with some silver spray paint. The rear fender braces are NOS, but, they are for a later year. I reshaped them around the post for my drillpress, which, happens to be the exact size, drilled holes using the one remaining original rear fender brace, and used the funny fender rivets to hold it all together.

ted

Thanks. Since finishing the bike up, I caved in to a bit of peer pressure and went with NOS Schwinn script grips. I also found a new square nut for the chainguard. The seat post decal is supposed to be white, I just thought the color version of that decal added some sparkle to a ton of black and white paint on the bike.
I haven't ridden it, just yet. I'm still enjoying the newness of everything.
Ted

seatpost decal

i agree,set post decal with added color,pops way more than a correct one.do whats nice,anyone can follow the numbers,imagination i where its at

i agree,set post decal with added color,pops way more than a correct one.do whats nice,anyone can follow the numbers,imagination i where its at

Great Tiger. I just picked up all original 63 Tiger that is also black.

I bought mine in 2009, from a guy who wanted to restore it (he has already bought the decals) but, life threw him a curve ball (home reposession, job loss) and he seemed thrilled to get $80 for it. It was no rider, and missing some key things. The last Tiger I saw on my local Craig's list was a decent, black, 1960 single speed advertised at $300. It looked like it could be ridden, but the ad didn't say. It was gone in a week.
That surprised me.
I just finished putting NOS brake pads on the bike,they are absolutely correct,and so dried out they are absolutely worthless. They sat on the top shelf near a window in a bike shop for 50 years. I won't ride the bike with those, but they look pretty neat bolted in place. We have a little display only show in Andover, MN at the end of the month, and I want to bring it there.

Ted

Nice work! She it the sister to my '59 Jag! Maybe they knew each other back in their factory days:)

Well done!

Back