When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored 20 years ago Bluebird OC CL

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

tripple3

Riding Miles; Collecting Smiles
Not mine: https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/d/dana-pointelgin-bluebird/6783102595.html
1937 1/2 Elgin Bluebird - $18000 (Dana Point)
bicycle type: cruiser
frame size: 62
make / manufacturer: Sears Elgin
model name / number: Bluebird
wheel size: 26 in
1937 1/2 Elgin Bluebird
I've owned for over 40 yrs.
Yes, I have the peddle not shown.
Light in horn not working but can be hooked up. Some minor body work, this paint is 35 yrs old
Serious only please
$18,000.
00101_3QKULipvIdD_1200x900.jpg
00u0u_aBdWQ90zOw0_1200x900.jpg
00t0t_bgAjTTGWYZ8_1200x900.jpg
00t0t_2376UfEHQAo_1200x900.jpg
00P0P_jhJGmp1dsre_1200x900.jpg
00M0M_jqrJvG33veW_1200x900.jpg

I'm no Bluebird expert by any means, but the price seems at least 5 grand (or more) too high based on what we've seen sell here on the CABE and ebay in the past year.
beautiful craftsmanship and style, real art, one of the first items on my list to buy after I win the powerball......wonderful color too.......

I would bet that was a Bailey restored saddle on the bike. Although I think his craftsmanship
was outstanding... he used the 'veg tan" leather which is one of the oldest methods of
tanning leather. Although I do like the looks of veg tan leather...which is typically soaked
so that it can be 'formed' to the contours of an object or seat pan, the inherent problems
with the process is the soaking. The leather on bicycle seats at least has a tendency to
'rot' or decay from the inside out, the side of the leather that comes in contact with the seat
padding etc. I have seen a number of Jim Baileys saddles that have had the 'cracking from
within' occur. bummer. You are looking at the result of the process when it goes south. One thing
to keep in mind... there's really no way to avoid restoring a skirted saddle, like this Blue Bird one, going this route.
the side skirting needs to be formed using veg tan leather and soaking. Thorough drying once covered is key to avoid the
potential for what you're seeing in the pix, but still no guarantee. I wonder what the methods
used on the original saddles done at Troxel back in the day were.
Looks like a nice bike...price is bonkers

any chance i can get ALLSTATE USA tires on this bike in lieu of the Chinese 10 dollar ones?

yes, the leather on that saddle is damaged.
However, from my experience, learning from and interaction with leather workers, reading books and articles on leather working in general and wet forming in particular, I do not believe the damage was caused by submerging or insufficient/incorrect drying.
Do your own research and make your own conclusion.

Back