When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored Double Drum brake 1949 "Excelsior" Red Phantom NOS parts build...

-

bobcycles

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Some pix of a fun restoration I finished up some 20 odd years ago for a Calif collector..
1949 frame date Red Phantom with front and rear expander brakes. NOS early wire
activated taillight, NOS Typhoon USA tires. Very unusual 1st version of the Phantom
saddle which were black out of the gate with the studs and center reflector jewel.
No reproduction parts used on this one aside from the brake cables and I believe?
the battery holder/tray under the headlight lid.
Sweet sweet bike, just imagine 50's kids rolling around on these things straight out of
the showroom ...mind blowing!
Enjoy overkill pix post

49phantom.jpg

49phantom1.jpg

49phantom2.jpg

49phantom2a.jpg

49phantom2b.jpg

49phantom3.jpg

49phantom5.jpg

49phantom9.jpg

49phantoma1.jpg

49phantoma1a.jpg

49phantoma2.jpg

49phantoma3.jpg

49phantoma4.jpg

49phantoma5.jpg

49phantoma6.jpg

49phantoma7.jpg

49phantoma9.jpg

49phantoma10.jpg
kill pix post

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment!
Good question...I believe an 'F' serial and as for how it started... I believe? as usual an assemblage
of parts that were period correct and not an original survivor bike, parts that had only
one direction to go, UP for a restoration. I restored so many bikes for the original owner
that I can't recall which ones he supplied parts for or I did...being a span of 25 years or more on much of it.
Figure most of the 49' frames ended up being sold in 50' naturally. Keep in mind no difference
between a B6 frame or Phantom... just can't recall if it even had original paint when I started it. Kind of
wish I would have documented more of these restos.

Back