When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring 1946 Schwinn B6

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

TxSker

On Training Wheels
Restoring 1946 Schwinn B6 **FINISHED w/ PICS**

Project is almost complete NEW PCS AT END OF THREAD

I'm new here and new to vintage bike restoration. My first and maybe only restoration is going to be this 1946 Schwinn B6 (Serial #I68978) that is my father in law's. Thought it would be great to take it and retore it for him and give it back as a gift. It has a Texas Special Headbadge, anyone kow anything about that? I've included some pics below. Would love to know if there are any good onlie resources for restoration because I have a tine of questions (best way to rmove rust, what needs to be or should be chromed, ect.) I'm pretty stoked to get this going because I think its going to be a ton of fun.

First question. Does this look to be in shape to restore?

DSC_0665.jpg

DSC_0667.jpg

DSC_0670.jpg

DSC_0668.jpg

DSC_0669.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to keep all he parts original if I can. That may mean gettting the handlebars and gooseneck re-chromed as well as he front spring assembly and other parts. I'm guessing that isn't going to be cheap.

I would die to have that badge!! I'd replace it for ya with something else?? Trains plaines and automobiles would be the same screw dimensions and I could get one NOS so it would be perfect for you resto....

I actually restore bikes as a side business. If you really want to restore it right, have a good blaster media blast or sandblast all the parts, have the fenders rolled if they need it, do your bodywork and paint work, rechrome and done! I did a girls Schwinn awhile back that i have photos of for refernce of my work if you would like to see what i do. I also am just starting 2 girls bike for my girlfriend. A 39 Shelby girls Airflow and a 41 Colson bullnose firestone. I will start a thread on them on monday when i pick up the parts from the blaster.

Last edited:
I'm new here and new to vintage bike restoration. My first and maybe only restoration is going to be this 1946 Schwinn B6 (Serial #I68978) that is my father in law's. Thought it would be great to take it and retore it for him and give it back as a gift. It has a Texas Special Headbadge, anyone kow anything about that? I've included some pics below. Would love to know if there are any good onlie resources for restoration because I have a tine of questions (best way to rmove rust, what needs to be or should be chromed, ect.) I'm pretty stoked to get this going because I think its going to be a ton of fun.

First question. Does this look to be in shape to restore?

Bike appears to have been repainted at some previous time in it's life.
Thus, you can do a complete restore on this bike without fear of ruining it.
You can paint and re-chrome to your wallet's limits!

Badge is a very desirable, hard to come by item.

Thanks for the offer but I'm going to keep the badge. I want to get it back to original shape for my father in law.

So anyone know of a good place in the North Dallas area to media blast the parts, a place to get things re-chromed and maybe even painted? Anyone used the paint from Vintageschwinn.com. Is it any good?

It is gonna be great restored, but i think not worth what it would cost to restore,,if it was me I would clean it up as much as possible and ride it. Problem with spendling up to 2 grand to restore it is, he will never want to ride it.

Here is my rough 48 I was once gonna restore it, but I would rather just ride it.

Attachments

• b6 001.jpg
    b6 001.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 315
Whether or not I spend more on this to restore than what o is worth is beside the point. The enjoyment of the work in the restoration is worth something to me.

Well said

Whether or not I spend more on this to restore than what o is worth is beside the point. The enjoyment of the work in the restoration is worth something to me.

A bike in that condition. A person has a right to restore. It's not always about cost. I personnaly don't like riding rust buckets. It's a individual choice. :o

Back