When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring 1946 Schwinn B6

-
I honestly don't see $2k in a restoration on this bike. I charge in the $350-450 (depending how rought the fenders are) range to do a bike for body and paint with all those graphics. Chrome will probably run about $600. I would consider repopping that badge for numerous reasons. To clean it and repaint it will be a chore if any of the detali is lost or gouged. Nothing looks worse than a crusty badge on a beautiful bike. Also you could sell a few to guys on here and recoup some of your restoration costs. There is a guy on ebay that makes repops and gets $85-135 each depending on what badge it is.

So, its been a while and I've made so progress on the bike. Just got it back from paint and went back to the mostly original colors, burgundy and white and it looks amazing. I stripped the rust off the chrome parts where I could and in lieu of re-chroming I've painted the parts with chrome paint. The parts were pretty badly pitted they look ok but not perfect. I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting them re-chromed now or if buying replacement repro parts is the way to go? I also will need a new light and tank horn, those can be repro parts.

I'll post pics of the paint job soon.

Your half way there...I would re-chrome what IS plateable and replace what's NOT plateable and have those pieces chrome plated. Original B6 parts are fairly common and can be found for reasonable prices.

Here's before and after of my B6

Schwinn 001.jpg
B6 done 001.jpg

A couple of pictures, before and after a clean up.

Mike

Schwinn 001.jpg

B6 done 001.jpg

lionel had a texas special train with that paint scheme so there prolly was a real texas special train,i had a head badge restored by daves vintage cycles and it ecedded my expactations,cost $85.00,gut it was perfect

Cool bike as is! Will certainly enjoy seeing pics as you go through the restoration process as well... Including the finished look. Good luck!

So I need a little guidance on selecting a repro horn. The bike horn was missing when I got it and I'm not sure which of the following will fit or if both will. One uses 1 d cell the other uses 2. Anyone know?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331186538670?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310940571962?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Why not put a post in the wanted to buy here and get an original? V/r Shawn

Back