When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring 1950 Black Phantom,

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I would leave as is unless you're going to keep it and possibly ride it.

The second you clean those minty chrome parts, someone will claim it's got repop parts. Been there with one I used to own.

Awesome bike.
As long as the owner knows it's original and anyone who knows Phantom's can tell original parts from aftermarket I would make it as clean as possible without damaging any finishes. Ever go to a car show and nothing there but dirty original cars, probably not.

I would leave as is unless you're going to keep it and possibly ride it.

The second you clean those minty chrome parts, someone will claim it's got repop parts. Been there with one I used to own.

Awesome bike.
Personally, I'd take LOTS of good pictures as it sits ( like you have) and then decide to leave "patina" or polish/detail. Again, it's a personal choice. Me, ( if keeping) I'd source either suitable repop tires ( If I was going to ride LOTS) or NOS Schwinn w/w Typhoons, polish it up, and enjoy.

If you plan to sell, I'd leave it as is and let the prospective buyer make the choice so there will be no question as to originality/repop parts etc .What a GREAT score! Congrats.

Yeah, blackwalls suit many bicycles, especially earlier examples and non "glammed/blinged" to start with. Not all vintage bikes (40's thru 60's) came with w/w tires. Generally the fancier top end bicycles came from Factory with whitewalls, ( much like cars of that era) the Schwinn Black Phantom being one of them.

Not to say what is right or wrong. It's a personal taste in part. I ( am into vintage cars/motorcycles too) am partial ( prefer) whitewalls on my bikes/cars, but that's generally what they came with.

To see a 1960's muscle car with wide whitewalls or a 1950's vintage ride with thin redlines is just WRONG. ( but not a big deal) The same goes for bicycles. There is a wealth of original and reprinted literature that can be used for reference. In the end, it's what makes you happy/you get the look you want. If a person wants "original" and to show it as, it's worth doing your home work and representing as such.

Lots of my bicycles are slightly "custom" but that's what people did back in the day too. My cars and vintage motorcycle are as close to stock as I could go. That's a personal choice.

Cheers,

Bob

Are you familiar with the Duncan yoyo Phantom? I hope somebody reading this is. I don’t believe it had whitewalls.

Are you familiar with the Duncan yoyo Phantom? I hope somebody reading this is. I don’t believe it had whitewalls.
I sort of remember the Duncan Phantom story years ago. A huge name in the hobby Big John, can't remember last name, supposedly had it along with several other in the box Phantoms. This goes back to around 2006 or so.

Last edited:
Back