Restoring a 1979 Spitfire

• REMINDER: There is a 2-day bump rule for Classifieds forums. Please take a moment to review the rules by clicking HERE.

This ad disappears when logged in

Greenidbandit

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Dec 28, 2017
Redlands, CA, United States
I'm restoring a 1979 Schwinn Spitfire what is better to strip it down and have it powder coated or to have it painted professionally...????

GTs58

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
screenshot_20171221-125148-png.png

I see it's black so me myself and I wouldn't have a problem with painting it ourselves.

Greenidbandit

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Dec 28, 2017
Thanks for the info. What I'm trying to find out is, are they painted or powder coated from the factory.?

GTs58

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
They are acid dipped, dipped in red oxide primer and then electrostatically painted.

Oct 23, 2016
Az
Or if the paint is good, you can always leave the original paint. I personally prefer original paint. But if you are totally restoring the bike, a repaint is probably the best option. Either way, can’t wait to see the outcome. I hope you post pics.

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
Restore = single stage paint over red oxide like GT said. Anything else is something besides a restoration. V/r Shawn

Greenidbandit

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Dec 28, 2017
Thanks Danny, I will definitely post some pictures when I'm finished. I stripped the bike down last weekend took the bottom brackets out and all the headset and everything and I watched a few videos on YouTube regarding how to take the kickstand off by using a crescent wrench slit over the top of the kickstand tried that with no luck I thought the little plug on the bottom of the kickstand bracket would slide right out like the videos but having trouble getting that little sucker out

ChattyMatty

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jul 23, 2014
Not my listing, but pick up a pair of these while you can. These shorter Schwinn block letter decals for the TT aren't as easy to find as the feather script used in other years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Fr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And for my sixpence, just powder it. You'll be looking at about $100 and you'll never have to worry about it again, especially if black was your color of choice. It's just a '79 Spit, not something overly collectible (still have the '79 I got a as a 6th grade graduation present and will be going through it this spring so I'm in the same boat) so just build it your way and love it all the more. Cover the bars with Grab-on, pop on some BMX forks and bunny pegs and it's off to the beach :) If this were some pristine, unrestored, 'as-new' basement find yeah, preserve it, but that's not what your bike looks like to me. These are the Chevy small block of beach cruisers, a zillion of them out there, enjoy your build with no regrets.

My Jr. High work truck, circa 1981- (CBR forks and Team Schwinn cranks would find their way onto it soon after this pic, but I don't have a pic of it in the that configuration)
Cruiser.jpeg

Oct 23, 2016
Az
View attachment 739802 Spitfire’s not collectible?? Might want to check out how many are for sale and if they are how much people want for them.
I never really felt like they were plentiful. But the more I have gotten into these late 70’s spitfires and early 80’s cruisers, the more I’ve realized how scarce nice ones are. People who have them, have many and hoard lots of parts. They don’t typically like to let anything go either. Finding a chainguard in any color has proved to be quite a task. These bikes are, without a doubt, very collectible in my opinion.

frampton

Wore out three sets of tires already!
May 31, 2012
unknown
In order to get the pin to come out, attach a small pair of vise grips to the pin. The extra weight should make it drop out.

Greenidbandit

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Dec 28, 2017
Hey Danny so I thought it over and I decided to stay with the original paint. I went ahead and rebadged it minus the seat tube badge. The original one is still there and has a good faded look. So me and my 5yr old daughter took a few days and tore it down and parts dipped ever part and regreased it. Next weekend I'll try my shot at some polish on the frame.

IMG_20180123_171921407.jpg

Oilit

Dec 30, 2015
Concord NC
Hey Danny so I thought it over and I decided to stay with the original paint. I went ahead and rebadged it minus the seat tube badge. The original one is still there and has a good faded look. So me and my 5yr old daughter took a few days and tore it down and parts dipped ever part and regreased it. Next weekend I'll try my shot at some polish on the frame.

View attachment 742690
From that picture, the paint looks like it's in pretty good shape, certainly better than some I've seen. Some polish will do wonders for that bike! And there are people on here who can really make them shine!

Oilit

Dec 30, 2015
Concord NC
Not my listing, but pick up a pair of these while you can. These shorter Schwinn block letter decals for the TT aren't as easy to find as the feather script used in other years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Frame-Sticker-Decal-Pair-White-for-Bikes-Water-Application-6-75-x-1-in/282512867767?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And for my sixpence, just powder it. You'll be looking at about $100 and you'll never have to worry about it again, especially if black was your color of choice. It's just a '79 Spit, not something overly collectible (still have the '79 I got a as a 6th grade graduation present and will be going through it this spring so I'm in the same boat) so just build it your way and love it all the more. Cover the bars with Grab-on, pop on some BMX forks and bunny pegs and it's off to the beach :) If this were some pristine, unrestored, 'as-new' basement find yeah, preserve it, but that's not what your bike looks like to me. These are the Chevy small block of beach cruisers, a zillion of them out there, enjoy your build with no regrets.

My Jr. High work truck, circa 1981- (CBR forks and Team Schwinn cranks would find their way onto it soon after this pic, but I don't have a pic of it in the that configuration)
View attachment 739579
Are those anodized aluminum rims? I'd call that a hot rod!

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture