When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring an old Schwinn Serial does not match the frame.

-

colonialbrass

On Training Wheels
Restoring an old Schwinn and the serial says it a 1950's Starlet,
but the frame and chain guard do not match the 50s Starlet

resized_20211019_104156-jpeg.jpg

green-starlet-jpg.jpg

Any ideas as to what is going on with the serials saying it a 1950's Schwinn Starlet,
but the frame and chain guard do not match the 50's Starlet.
It matches the 1930's Cadillac Chicago Bicycle Supply Co. and it goes with the story
behind the bike being purchased in the 30's and restored in the 80's.
52-cadillac-fender-jpg.jpg
1930's Cadillac Chicago Bicycle Supply Co

Your bike is definitely a prewar frame and guard. It also has the taller head tube of an earlier bike. If you post the serial we might be able to nail down a year for you.

Your bike is definitely a prewar frame and guard. It also has the taller head tube of an earlier bike. If you post the serial we might be able to nail down a year for you.
The serial tells me its a 1952 Schwinn Starlet, but the Frame does not match the
50's Starlet. That is where I'm getting lost.
Resized_20211014_093828.jpeg

The frame and chain guard look like
the 1930's Cadillac- Chicago Bicycle Supply Co.
52 cadillac fender.jpg

It can get pretty confusing with schwinn serial numbers. Numbers got re-used over the years. That schwinn look-up database only goes back to '48 but your bike is definitely older. It's a good thing at the end of the day! A 1940 is more desirable and cool than a '52.

Hey, Thanks for your Help ! The story behind the bike, is Her great uncle bought it in the 30,s
and Mom rode it in the 40s and then Mom had it restored in the 80s and I believe that is where
the confusion is really happening, because it has a 1950's Starlet seat and crank sprocket that
I think the restorer in the 80s added those parts believing it was a 50's Schwinn Starlet.

Those lookup tools online are wrong over half the time. You would do better throwing darts. Always use the lists on this site.

On a postwar bike you can get very close. On a prewar bike like yours, no records exist, so it's all reverse engineered. Still you can get close. The serial won't tell you a model like "Starlet" but you can probably nail the year within +-1, and figure out the model just by looking at it if it is complete.

The rear forks on the frame make it prewar for sure. Common wisdom says "F" with 5 digits and that font is 1940. I have F71444, and I think mine is more likely 1941, because my crank is dated 1941. Speaking of cranks, you could take it out and check the year if you want more confirmation. The year isn't always there or complete though, but it usually is. On the other hand, they may have changed the crank when they changed the chainwheel.

The picture of the green bike is of a middleweight, not a balloon bike. Pay no attention to it. It also does not have a correct chainring on it. Rear facing rear forks rather than forward facing rear dropouts is a definite clue that your bike is older than you’re finding. Google Schwinn catalog scans and find the link to the Anglefire site. As stated earlier, the Bike History lookup tool should be made history itself; it’s wrong 50% of the time. The Angelfire site will require some time and patience, but the effort will be well worth it. My 1952 Hornet has the serial number stamped into the left rear dropout. Keep looking. 😄

@colonialbrass ,WELCOME to the tribe of "cabers", a nice advise to you, those online sites are wrong must of the time, I use only angelfire.com , the manuals or books from Schwinn, and this cabe*!* If do you use any source, to find a postwar Schwinn bike, the serial tells you only the close date of production, never tells you the model, none the prewar tells you the models! like the other cabers said you before, I'm whit them on the info! I says, that your frame its a prewar lady, just look the same pics from you and the cabers posted, from the manual in color! Your green one its a middle weight, whit wrong sprocket! Congrats, for your lady prewar project, its better then the green mw bike, or any models from your search, ask for the parts, here at the "want it" section, put it back together and enjoy your ride*!*

Last edited:
Back