When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring chrome

-

climbamnt

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi all .. I have question about repairing/restoring chrome. I am looking for a way to restore without sending it out to be dipped. I see some spray paints out there. I would appreciate any advise !

If you have spots missing chrome, replating is the only way to restore. Spray on "country chrome" is highly frowned upon in most circles.

If you just have rust, there are plenty of mechanical means of removal as well as chemical means.

There are how to threads to explain that if you search the forums here. Post some pictures of your chrome issues and we may be able to better determine what the issue needs.

I like brass wire brushes and WD 40. chrome is harder than brass so the brass will not scratch it. 25 years ago I would use Brillo pads and scratch the heck out of it.

heavy rust can be removed with Evaporust. if you go this route buy it on Amazon, that is the cheapest place I have found it. search Evaporust here and there will be some threads about it.

This is the spring from a JC higgings colorflow. I will the painted one is before, the other images are after. (I'm not sure this is salvageable.)

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

Hi all .. I have question about repairing/restoring chrome. I am looking for a way to restore without sending it out to be dipped. I see some spray paints out there. I would appreciate any advise !
Buy a can and test it on some throwaway parts....,it doesn't look good... there is cleaning and waxing, for the original look....or spend big $$......

Back