When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring Fender Braces

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
There are inexpensive ways of zinc plating metal using a sacrificial zinc anode, an electrolyte solution, and low voltage. There are a couple of DIY videos on YouTube. One guy is kind of flaky but he gets results (calls blue masking tape "electrical connecting tape.") Zinc anodes are common from boat shops. Electrolyte solution is nothing more than washing soda and vinegar. Low voltage comes from a couple of AA batteries.

Last edited:
One other thing that I've done to fender braces, kick stands, etc. is to hold them to a brass brush wheel on my grinder. That gets all of the crude off of them and leaves them nice and clean. (Careful with fender braces, the edge will catch in the rotating brush, get bent and thrown to the far corner of the shop, if it misses your head.) Then take some 400 wet/dry sandpaper, wet it and put some dish detergent on it then sand the part till it has a uniform finish to it. Next repeat with 800 or 1000 grit using the same wet technique. The last step is to coat the part with some of Eastwood's "Diamond Clear for Bare Metal." This last step seals the metal from any further corrosion or discoloring.

Ed

Did they clean them up first or did you do the cleaning? What was the total bill on the 20 sets? I wonder if one could make some $'s picking up old braces for nothing, having them plated and selling them.
It's been too long for me to remember what the price was. They cleaned them up somehow. I don't remember if I did anything to them first. Barry

I'll look through some of my files and see if I can find any reference to what I paid for it.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

The cost-effective (cheap) alternative: Testors Enamel No. 1180 Flat Steel (see bottle in photo).
IMG_0554.JPG

Back