When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring my 1940 Elgin with "God Bless America" theme

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Gabriel De Jesus Rivera

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I purchased a 1940 Elgin in San Antonio and have decided to restore it with "God Bless America" theme. All paint will be striped and painted with lacquer primer and a metal flake lacquer paint red, white ,and blue. All newly re-chromed parts with be done on the bike.

1940 Elgin

Welcome to this forum! Sounds like a great restoration plan and reminds me of my 40-41 sapphire blue with white accents and red pinstriping Hawthorne.....my patriotic, most recent acquisition. Be sure to upload some photos of your bike and good luck with the restoration!

My 1940 Elgin

Here is the bike I'm restoring

Elgin Bike picture taken 1-12-2014.JPG

Nice Elgin, I just picked up a similar one myself. I like that style of 40-41. Mine looks to be painted a metallic automobile blue from the 70's. It's missing the tank which I may fabricate & will probably not restore it to original but revamp it into a nice beach cruiser. Personally, I'm not sold on skirts on a boys bike (except in Scotland) but a lot of people like them & I've seen some really cool rat cruisers w/ them. Good luck with it, would like to see photo's of the progress.

"Androgynous" Bikes......

Not the first time I've noticed skirt guards on a boy's bike. in fact, see the sixth photo in Double Nickle's second post of the Smoopy's swap meet thread. Very masculine bike, but what do you see on the rear fender??? :rolleyes:

Perhaps someone could provide an explanation of why some of these prewar boy's bikes included the skirt guards?

Update on the Elgin 05-15-14

Well I am getting a professional paint and body man to work on the restoration of the Elgin. I have asked the body man to totally strip the old paint and re-prime all the parts with grey lacquer auto primer.
A friend of mine advised me to re-spoke the new re-chrome wheels with stainless wheels spokes. He trued the wheels, cleaned and re-greased the guts. He's worked at a bike shop here in Houston for over 30 years and and he worked me up a great deal.
Total re-chroming will be done on all parts including pedals, kick stand, handlebars with neck, crank with sprocket, seat post and parts pictured. I chrome man is also my friend and work a deal for exchange for Mesquite Wood for BarBQueing.

Elgin front wheel 04-15-14.jpg

Elgin Rear Wheel 04-15-14.jpg

Elgin parts to chrome  05-15-14.jpg

Elgin parts to strip and paint 05-15-14.jpg

Back