When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resurrecting Campus Green Paint thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Aieeejo

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi All,
I read through several older discussions here and around the www universe about where to find Campus Green paint, and with the exception of Koolest Kolors I'm striking out. I'm not able to pay $68 per can for spray paint or $78 for a half-pint, or $220 for a repainting kit (primer, base coat, 2 cans of spray, and clear coat) to refinish a hundred dollar bike.
It looked like maybe the Sherwin-Williams Auto Refinishing shop might be a great lead, but I just talked to a manager at one and he spent 15 minutes with me only to come up empty-handed. He says his system has no references to ANY Schwinn paints (although he can easily find Harley colors and many others by just inputting the company name). When I asked if Sherwin-Williams corporate might have additional resources to search he said they won't.

I know I can get a primer, aluminum base coat, and clear coat at cheaper prices from many places close to my home, however that still leaves the main ingredient. Ideally I'd like to go authentic, so before settling on a generic, almost-right color, are there any tips out there where else I should try? If I understand correctly, Schwinn's color uses gold flecks to provide the metallic sparkle, which seems to be somewhat unique or unusual (ie not easy to duplicate).

Thanks for any help!

I would rethink your haste in abandoning Koolest Kolors.
They went to great lengths to get these paints right, which wasn’t easy, as you are finding out.
They have supplied this hobby with an outstanding product.
If you want to do it right, they have made it possible.
As the old saying goes, it ain’t cheap, because quality never is.
Just sayin!

Go back to the paint store or another GOOD auto paint jobber. Ask to look at the FLEET colors book. Dupont, PPG, r.m. Lots of colors. Should find something close
Unfortunately I'd be basing it off my imperfect memory, as I don't have a sample to bring in for matching. On the up-side, it's not for touch-up, but a full paint job, so uniformity isn't an issue. But we'd have to assume I (or my kids) will sell it one day, and having a real Schwinn color would be my preference.
I tried Sherwin-Williams because a few other folks have said they used to be the paint manufacturer for the Schwinn company.

I would rethink your haste in abandoning Koolest Kolors.
They went to great lengths to get these paints right, which wasn’t easy, as you are finding out.
They have supplied this hobby with an outstanding product.
If you want to do it right, they have made it possible.
As the old saying goes, it ain’t cheap, because quality never is.
Just sayin!
Based on many enthusiasts' comments, I'm completely confident that Koolest Kolors is THE #1 source. And maybe one of the ONLY sources, which is why they can charge 5 times the retail price for their exclusive product. (For reference, I note that they aren't the only supplier of primer, aluminum base coat, or clear coat, yet they still charge exorbitant prices for those, too.) I'm not as confident that their quality is that superior to other paint producers, warranting a 500% markup. Since paint colors aren't trademark (or is it copyright?) protected, all it takes is the code or a sample to create a new batch.
If I had the money to spare, there's a good chance I'd suck it up and buy the KK brand, but it's currently not an option for me. That's the only reason I'm abandoning them - it's well out of my budget. (I imagine I'm not the only one in that boat.)

I can match most radiant Schwinn colors with Duplo metal paints, but Campus Green is a no-go. It is a odd ball color that was never very popular outside of bicycles. I did come close by spraying candy blue over a gold base. KK is your only bet if you want accuracy.

I can match most radiant Schwinn colors with Duplo metal paints, but Campus Green is a no-go. It is a odd ball color that was never very popular outside of bicycles. I did come close by spraying candy blue over a gold base. KK is your only bet if you want accuracy.
Just out of curiosity, bikecrazy, would Sierra Brown be any easier? That was the original color of the bike, which was never my favorite. It's a '73 Collegiate, and I stripped/repainted it around 1990 with some other non-Schwinn color, and now I'm ready to bring it back into the correct palette. Kool Lemon was the other color it was offered in. I guess my preferences in order would be Campus Green, Kool Lemon, Sierra Brown. As long as I can do it significantly under Koolest Kolor's $221 price tag.

I was able to match the Kool Lemon color of my 1973 Continental using two shades of Testors yellow enamels in the small square bottles that cost under. $1.50 each. I used it for touch ups and you can’t tell where the touch ups are at. Notice the very visible red primer on the chips.

I feathered the chipped edges with fine sandpaper and shot the chips with my fine tipped air brush using my home brewed Testors paint.

It’s a perfect match. I was able to touch up the rest of the scratches and chips using my air brush and the custom mixed enamel paint.

I was able to match the Kool Lemon color of my 1973 Continental using two shades of Testors yellow enamels in the small square bottles that cost under. $1.50 each. I used it for touch ups and you can’t tell where the touch ups are at. Notice the very visible red primer on the chips.

View attachment 1178977

I feathered the chipped edges with fine sandpaper and shot the chips with my fine tipped air brush using my home brewed Testors paint.

View attachment 1178988

It’s a perfect match. I was able to touch up the rest of the scratches and chips using my air brush and the custom mixed enamel paint.

View attachment 1178989
Turned out great! Nice job!

You picked all the really tough colors! Someone told me that Ford has a yellow that is very close to cool lemon. If you can figure out what model and year, you can order duplo touch up spray cans. Sierra brown may be able to be color matched at an automotive paint store. Mine will sell custom matches in a can for about 25$.

Back