When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resurrecting Campus Green Paint thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks @Arnold Ziffel . I saw that color Mini in a parking lot and even got so far as looking up the touch up paint for it. I backed off because I realized that I am only relying on my memory of the original Schwinn campus green color. Good idea also on looking at paint color codes from older cars. As you point out, green cars were once popular. Not so anymore. By the way, I see lots of Jeeps in shades of green but none that I believe are quite right.

@razinhellcustomz I am going to put most of the original bits back on it. That is a testament to Schwinn's chrome. It was rusty but cleaned up well. It will probably have upright handle bars. I have a pair of Wald bars that I may want to try first. That will make this more like a Suburban though. I also have the original handlebars as well as other alloy dropped bars if I want to keep the dropped bar look. Perhaps once the paint and decals are complete, I will start a build thread.

You know @Arnold Ziffel , your doubly right about green cars in the past. My dad bought a 1967 Ford LTD in a green metallic that could have been close to Campus Green, but I don't trust my memory. The color is called Dark Moss Green. This Mustang actually looks lighter than I remember the color being. However, it is a picture in direct sunlight, so that will affect the color. Lots of greens back then.

Paint stores do not keep paint chips for old colors anymore. Way too many colors, no demand, and when paint types changed due to regulations paint manufactures did not bother to reformulate into new product. Cameras are only good on a flat surface 12" x 12". and only to an existing formula. Cars are now mostly metallic. Campus green is a Candy. Different look as original poster is finding out. Guys that match by eye are a dying breed. Most stores will not do a spray out anymore.
On and on........ Paint match is getting to be a HUGE pain. Then you have to pay up!

I think am going to pay more than I want to as long as I want campus green. The sure bet and one that doesn't require so many steps and favors is to just buy the Koolest Kolors paint. Once that is on the bike anything there after I can try to match up to a Mini or Toyota or Jeep. I am hoping a half pint will cover a Continental frame and fork.

I think am going to pay more than I want to as long as I want campus green. The sure bet and one that doesn't require so many steps and favors is to just buy the Koolest Kolors paint. Once that is on the bike anything there after I can try to match up to a Mini or Toyota or Jeep. I am hoping a half pint will cover a Continental frame and fork.
If you find a color that makes you happy go for it! 1/2 Pint is not going to do it. Pint minimum. Always have some for touch up later also

Thanks @Arnold Ziffel . I saw that color Mini in a parking lot and even got so far as looking up the touch up paint for it. I backed off because I realized that I am only relying on my memory of the original Schwinn campus green color. Good idea also on looking at paint color codes from older cars. As you point out, green cars were once popular. Not so anymore. By the way, I see lots of Jeeps in shades of green but none that I believe are quite right.

@razinhellcustomz I am going to put most of the original bits back on it. That is a testament to Schwinn's chrome. It was rusty but cleaned up well. It will probably have upright handle bars. I have a pair of Wald bars that I may want to try first. That will make this more like a Suburban though. I also have the original handlebars as well as other alloy dropped bars if I want to keep the dropped bar look. Perhaps once the paint and decals are complete, I will start a build thread.
Coll. Keep us posted. Thanks. Razin.

Years ago, I had a Schwinn Heavy Duti frame that was beat up and yellow. I painted it Rustoleum black. That was the best decision I could have made.

This campus green odyssey has been nightmarish. I ordered a half pint of campus green, and @1motime , you are probably right, one half pint may not do it. I will probably spray a piece of cardboard or something with silver, then campus green over it and save it so that I can get it color matched anytime in the future. Maybe right after it comes in. We'll see.

Sky Blue on the Schwinn American was so easy too. It is not too late to go Sky Blue.

Years ago, I had a Schwinn Heavy Duti frame that was beat up and yellow. I painted it Rustoleum black. That was the best decision I could have made.

This campus green odyssey has been nightmarish. I ordered a half pint of campus green, and @1motime , you are probably right, one half pint may not do it. I will probably spray a piece of cardboard or something with silver, then campus green over it and save it so that I can get it color matched anytime in the future. Maybe right after it comes in. We'll see.

Sky Blue on the Schwinn American was so easy too. It is not too late to go Sky Blue.
It's never to late until you start painting. I always wanted to do an old bike in Ford Grabber blue from the 70's ford color chips.

I did that in the 70's. I don't remember what bike it was but I was so infatuated with the color I went to the auto parts store and bought it. It might have been my sisters 20" Fair Lady(?). I just loved that color.

I got my pint of paint in from Koolest Kolors. I am concerned about coverage, but I figured that I would go ahead anyway. This morning driving to work, I see a Toyota Camry that looks to my eye like Campus Green. I looked for pictures online and found this Toyota Tacoma forum thread thread with pictures of various "Spruce Mica" trucks. Interesting the thread starts out with one poster describing Spruce Mica as follows: " spruce mica is kinda like olive and emerald mixed IMO". That is exactly what I have been saying about campus green.

Mr. Murphy and is damn law come through again. I will paint with Koolest Kolors Campus green, then I will look for a Toyota Spruce Mica to compare. There could be some subtle difference that are not visible in internet pictures. Stay tuned.

Back