When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resurrecting Campus Green Paint thread

-
You picked all the really tough colors! Someone told me that Ford has a yellow that is very close to cool lemon. If you can figure out what model and year, you can order duplo touch up spray cans. Sierra brown may be able to be color matched at an automotive paint store. Mine will sell custom matches in a can for about 25$.
I just read two posts on 2 other sites that Testor's Mystic Emerald (Lacquer paint) is a pretty close color to Campus Green; the only problem there is that it comes in 3oz aerosol cans. So a whole bike will probably need several cans. Still at least 50% less expensive than Koolest Kolors though. Another guy says that there's a very close powder coat color called Illusion Money from PrismaticPowders. So maybe there are other options after all. Not genuine Schwinn colors, unfortunately, but hard for a non-expert to tell the difference without a side-by-side comparison.
Thanks for the tip on Kool Lemon.

It would be much easier matching the Kool Lemon color and cheaper by savings from doing a silver base coat. Dupi-Color, Krylon, Rustoleum and others have paint in various shades of yellow. I wonder what Dupli-Colors Ford chrome yellow looks like in real life.

1587526218219.png

Last edited:
The Testers green lacquer I had was too green. Not a perfect match.Campus green is more of an olive green. Yellow is probably your most economical bet at achieving a good color match. The bike will look great!

[QUOTE="bikecrazy, post: Yellow is probably your most economical bet at achieving a good color match. The bike will look great!
[/QUOTE]

I love that Kool Lemon color and the green is very nice too. Either color is not a difficult task to achieve since it’s a complete re paint and the colors will look great even if tad off in shade that can only be noticed if placed side by side with the original color.
Grab a set of decals from BB on eBay and your bike will look brand new.

There aint no gold in Campus green. It's a delusion perpetrated by a dope. I have a 1969 campus green super sport, it's an aluminum base. 'wink'. It's not the metal coat, that gives the whole colored appearance, it's the top coat. What you need is to discover an exact match of the translucent/transparent top coat. Because the under or base is a crinkle like aluminum mixed in clear. Scanning original paint for top coat is next to impossible. And if you don't have an original bike to create from scanner then, At best you'll needs to find a metal flake (all of their touch up, Spray can or containers, paint for Opal, radiant and flamboyant are metal flake) touch-up or repaint paint that Schwinn made for it and scan that.

Most of Schwinn's paint was produced by auto manufacture's companies, especially DuPont. Yet B/C there's 2 parts, a layer of aluminum and topped like candy, translucent/transparent, there's no 'listed' automotive paint code for it.

Last edited:
There aint no gold in Campus green. It's a delusion perpetrated by a dope. I have a 1969 campus green super sport, it's an aluminum base. 'wink'. It's not the metal coat, that gives the whole colored appearance, it's the top coat. What you need is to discover an exact match of the translucent/transparent top coat. Because the under or base is a crinkle like aluminum mixed in clear. Scanning original paint for top coat is next to impossible. And if you don't have an original bike to create from scanner then, At best you'll needs to find a metal flake (all of their touch up, Spray can or containers, paint for Opal, radiant and flamboyant are metal flake) touch-up or repaint paint that Schwinn made for it and scan that.

Most of Schwinn's paint was produced by auto manufacture's companies, especially DuPont. Yet B/C there's 2 parts, a layer of aluminum and topped like candy, translucent/transparent, there's no 'listed' automotive paint code for it.
Thanks, Jeff54. Great post with good info!
I also inquired with the Kool Kolors folks and am posting their response below.

I was unfamiliar with the Schwinn (now KooleStuff) process and decided to go to the source. Here's what they say:

(Me)
Hi there. I'm looking at your Schwinn paint restoration kit and can't figure out what the aluminum base coat is for? There's already a grey primer, and I believe the Campus Green color has gold-colored flakes. What purpose does the aluminum base coat serve?
Thank you very much.

(KooleStuff)
The silver / aluminum base coat has to be applied after the primer in order for the candy color (which is very sheer ) to work properly...if you don't it's a disaster. The color has to be applied in very, very light coats to achieve the right look... patience is an understatement

GW

Gary & Lori Wold
www.koolestuff.com

Cool - very interesting. I've never seen that anywhere else. Thanks CyclingDay. That gives a little more perspective on redoing it from bare metal.
Do you think the modern-day equivalent of "baked on" is powder coat?

Back