When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resurrecting Campus Green Paint thread

-
Looking at Prismatic Powders' (powder coat) colors, it looks like maybe Ultra Illusion Green might be a close match to Campus Green, no?

Otherwise, as bikecrazy suggests, Kool Lemon might be a more forgiving color to try to match....

That doesn't look like a good match to me, plus it appears to be a very heavy metallic.

Powder coating is basically a powdered plastic that is electrostatically applied and then baked/melted on the metal. It's not the same as paint. The solid colors like Kool Lemon was a three step painting process leaving the aluminum base coat for the candy colors out of that process. I haven't come across anyone that has matched a true Campus Green with an off the shelf spray paint or powder coating. Doing powder or a metallic paint is not the same as candy paint over a reflective base coat and would not be considered a correct finish for a true restoration if that's what you're shooting for. Koolstuff obviously has the paint code for the correct candy color but the whole process using that paint is also not correct for a true restoration. It's a modern paint that requires a clear coat.

That doesn't look like a good match to me, plus it appears to be a very heavy metallic.

Powder coating is basically a powdered plastic that is electrostatically applied and then baked/melted on the metal. It's not the same as paint. The solid colors like Kool Lemon was a three step painting process leaving the aluminum base coat for the candy colors out of that process. I haven't come across anyone that has matched a true Campus Green with an off the shelf spray paint or powder coating. Doing powder or a metallic paint is not the same as candy paint over a reflective base coat and would not be considered a correct finish for a true restoration if that's what you're shooting for. Koolstuff obviously has the paint code for the correct candy color but the whole process using that paint is also not correct for a true restoration. It's a modern paint that requires a clear coat.
I agree with your technical assessment, but for practicality's sake, most of us can really only come close. A lot of our mass-produced bikes aren't collectibles - they're just 'vintage era'. At least in my case, I'd like to restore to something near original but only for a reasonable cost. Having an old bike that looks new is pretty cool for me. And if my kids sell it in 15 or 20 years at an estate sale, it'll look good and hopefully won't depreciate too much. Thanks for your insight on the advantage of Kool Lemon (non-metallic). Gives me something to think about when choosing between 2 options.

The solid colors like Kool Lemon was a three step painting process leaving the aluminum base coat for the candy colors out of that process.

GT I was unaware that Kool Lemon was a 3 step process. I have a 1973 Continental and Speedster both in Kool Lemon and the only other color I could see from chips and scratches underneath the yellow paint was red oxide primer.

Last edited:
I am going to stick my neck out here and voice an opinion on cool lemon. On karates cool lemon has a silver undercoat and on full size bikes it does not. The color on both is almost exactly the same. My guess is that ALL the karates got a silver undercoat during the factory paint process to speed up production. I really can’t see how a silver undercoat vs red primer undercoat will alter the final color by that mutch.

I am going to stick my neck out here and voice an opinion on cool lemon. On karates cool lemon has a silver undercoat and on full size bikes it does not. The color on both is almost exactly the same. My guess is that ALL the karates got a silver undercoat during the factory paint process to speed up production. I really can’t see how a silver undercoat vs red primer undercoat will alter the final color by that mutch.

It sounds logical to me. It may also be possible that some full sized bikes got the silver treatment while others didn't?

No Kool Lemon bikes that Schwinn produced had the silver undercoat, NONE. The frames were acid dipped, coated with red oxide primer and then shot with the yellow paint. The aftermarket Schwinn matched paint for Sting Rays is the only paint where it is suggested/required underneath their Kool Lemon paint. Why? Because their Kool Lemon paint is so thin it doesn't cover the red oxide primer without multiple coats of the yellow taking twice as much paint that will cost the buyer twice as much. This is why you'll see the silver base underneath a Lemon Peeler, it's been repainted.

If the yellow available is too thin and since it a solid color instead of metallic try a white for base. Yellow will cover with less coats

I am also looking for a match for Campus Green and since I will be spraying it in a gun, I was looking at House of Kolors. What are your thoughts on this Kandy Basecoat Organic Green. I already know that it can be really difficult to see the true color on a monitor. It's like listening to recorded music. The speakers and equipment change the sound in subtle ways.

I am looking at a picture of a clean, original paint, Campus Green bike in bright sunlight and this sample.

They look close to me. What do you think?

I am also looking for a match for Campus Green and since I will be spraying it in a gun, I was looking at House of Kolors. What are your thoughts on this Kandy Basecoat Organic Green. I already know that it can be really difficult to see the true color on a monitor. It's like listening to recorded music. The speakers and equipment change the sound in subtle ways.

I am looking at a picture of a clean, original paint, Campus Green bike in bright sunlight and this sample.

They look close to me. What do you think?

The sample doesn't show up for me. Copy and paste the photo.

Back