When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resurrecting Campus Green Paint thread

-
The paint came in. That was quick. It is in a single component spray can.

Interesting how they fill these. The cap seems to be part of the filling system. Then they put a disk into the cap to trap the paint. It would be easy to spot the color I was looking for if I had a bunch of these paint cans. No looking at labels needed (assuming that the caps don't get mixed up.

The bottom of the can states net weight 7.5 oz. The label that was applied after filling the can states 12 oz. It is probably a good thing I got two cans.

Here is a picture of the top of the cap. There is a nipple on it that looks like it mates with the can before the spray cap is placed on. Neat process.

IMG_2312.jpg

I prepared a piece of pipe with silver paint. I sprayed the House of Kolor organic green over the silver. Here is how it looks.

How did that happen. I tried to force it to focus on the pipe and it still managed to focus on the background. How are we ever going to have self driving cars if we cannot get the camera to focus on subject? Sorry for the rant. This is the only picture that I have. You can still see the color. You may notice that the finish is not shiny. This is intended to be clear coated in the next step.

I prepared a piece of pipe with silver paint. I sprayed the House of Kolor organic green over the silver. Here is how it looks.

View attachment 1215324

How did that happen. I tried to force it to focus on the pipe and it still managed to focus on the background. How are we ever going to have self driving cars if we cannot get the camera to focus on subject? Sorry for the rant. This is the only picture that I have. You can still see the color. You may notice that the finish is not shiny. This is intended to be clear coated in the next step.
Don't mean to be messin wit your bubble but think it's not the same shade, a little brighter maybe. ., Like, maybe a touch of olive or brown/tan is missing. I think that scanning any color match, because of the aluminum base under the green transparent/translucence, it's always going to pick up the reflective aspect and be a tinge too bright.

But, seriously, does it matter that much? B/C when ya done it'll be nice and shinny new looking once again.

You are right @Jeff54 it is missing some olive brown/tan. It is not the color that I though I was getting. You didn't burst my bubble, I see it myself. Right now I have a light coat on the frame and it looks more like Schwinn Lime Green, and I have one or two more coats on the fork and it looks like dark green. This is not going as easy as the Schwinn American in Sky Blue with Duplicolor.

This is a challenge. One other thing that you are right about is if I can't get the color to match, it will still look shiny and new.

I will try to keep posting on progress. I will probably try to go just a shade darker on the frame.

Might need a little red? I personally like that new color better, but I'm a Lime fan.

1592752079385.png

Thanks for the reply, I agree with you @GTs58. If it wasn't for the fact that I want it to look like Campus Green, I like the color too. It looks a bit like the green on an 70' Peugeot's.

I went for the spray can on this paint because the it is simple. If I had a pint of paint and was using my spray gun, I could blend in some red.

I went by the local paint jobber today and asked about the book that I used to match paint on my 70 Buick Skylark a few years ago and found a perfect match. They have a DuPont book that holds an enormous number of paint chip flip-fans. Each color is one shade off from the previous and following chip. There's an oblong hole in the middle of the chip for holding over what you bring in and want to match. Just keep thumbing through the chips until you find the one that matches. These are not colors used by different auto manufactures, they're something that DuPont put together to show how many colors can be made with their base colors.

Don't mean to be messin wit your bubble but think it's not the same shade, a little brighter maybe. ., Like, maybe a touch of olive or brown/tan is missing. I think that scanning any color match, ibecause of the aluminum base under the green transparent/translucence, it's always going to pick up the reflective aspect and be a tinge too bright.

But, seriously, does it matter that much? B/C when ya done it'll be nice and shinny new looking once again.

When I had my laptop connected to my monitor with the bigger screen, I could see both the laptop screen and the monitor at the same time. In almost every instance, the same object was a different color on each screen. There is no way to say whether a color is correct by looking at it on a computer screen. You see the same thing with all of the TV's lined up side by side at Best Buy. Unless you're viewing it with the naked eye in natural light, you cannot say a color is correct.

My wife just got a new 2020 Buick EncoreGX. It's painted Azure Blue. I looked for a picture using Google images. If I looked at 30 pictures, I saw 30 different shades of the same color.

When I had my laptop connected to my monitor with the bigger screen, I could see both the laptop screen and the monitor at the same time. In almost every instance, the same object was a different color on each screen. There is no way to say whether a color is correct by looking at it on a computer screen. You see the same thing with all of the TV's lined up side by side at Best Buy. Unless you're viewing it with the naked eye in natural light, you cannot say a color is correct.

My wife just got a new 2020 Buick EncoreGX. It's painted Azure Blue. I looked for a picture using Google images. If I looked at 30 pictures, I saw 30 different shades of the same color.
New cars may have different shades of the same color. Slight differences. More than going by the color code now. The VIN is used. Tracks where and when the vehicle was painted.

Back