When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resurrecting Campus Green Paint thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I was able to track down where I went wrong. House of Kolor has a range of formulations that they call organic green. I saw that TCP Global had "organic green" n a spray can and jumped at it without doing my home work. The color sample that I listed in post #38 is the one that I wanted. It still might not have been a "dead on" match but it should have been closer. Since I was spraying the whole bike I wan't too concerned.

By the way, I learned one more thing trying to figure out where I went wrong, I spoke to a helpful rep' at TCP Global named Sonny and he asked if I had sprayed it over black base coat. "Well, no." He said that this was designed to be sprayed over black. I did come across that when I was looking at HOK Kandy colors, but figured that since Schwinn painted over silver, I was going to do that too. I saw a video by Jon Kosmoski, the founder of House of Kolor, where he talked about candy colors over black to give it depth. Wow, that is new to me. This has been a learning experience.

I still have to figure out my next move. Whether I will respray with another color or leave what I have.

Spraying a candy color over black will only change the black. Shoot a green candy over black and you'll just get an altered Black looking like a really super dark midnight green. I was shooting Testors candy over Black 56 years ago and there is no possible way you're going to duplicate a Schwinn paint using a black base. If these people are telling you need a black base then their paint is not going to replicate a Schwinn color and you'll be defeating the purpose/reason of using a candy over a silver base. The silver base is used to reflect the light back thru the candy color and this is why so many people call Radiant, Opal and later Schwinn colors a metallic. Sonny is definitely leading you down the wrong rabbit hole and Jon must have been saying it will give the Black some depth. Layers of clear will give any paint some depth but black under a candy color will kill any color candy you shoot over it. The paint has to be tinted to the correct color you want and the base has to be the aluminum/silver to duplicate the reflective effect that Schwinn candy paint has.

What he is spraying is too light and bright. The silver is adding to that. Campus green is darker and browner. Red or brown base might shift the color in the right direction. Went the spray can route instead of just having a match done. Cans have been paid for. Sounded like he shot the frame a week ago. Should have been cleared right after

Yes, Schwinn was painted over silver. The problem is that I have the wrong color. Not olive enough. The other information was just what the HoK rep' said. Not that it is right for a Schwinn. And keep in mind that is used silver as the under coat. Starting with the wrong color is the problem. I didn't realize that HoK had a range of colors that they called organic green".

I could use go with the non-Schwinn color that I have now, or sand it off and try again.

If you decide to strip the base color don't bother sanding it off. Wipe with acetone and save time and your hands. Wear gloves though!

I have a thought. That paint you used needs a clear over it right? If I was hell bent on getting the color closer to Campus I would get a clean chain guard example and take to a Sherwin Williams store or auto paint store and have them scan it. Have it mixed in a single stage acrylic enamel clear base for a candy paint. Test the final mix and if it's got the "color" use that over your existing paint for tinted clear coat.

Thanks, I am keeping an eye out for a cheap campus green bike to buy or something to borrow, but have been striking out. I like the acetone idea for striping the paint. Better than sanding. Especially around the fork crown.

Thanks @1motime that acetone tip worked great. I still had to sand and reapply silver to get back to even silver coverage as would be expected, but your tip saved me hours!

As this stands I have the following choices:

1. Buy the paint from Koolest Kolors
2. Buy a touch up bottle from Koolest Kolors spray it on a card and bring the sample to my local automotive paint shop who already said that they can match whatever I bring in.
3. Buy a complete bike in campus green to color match. Problem is I am not seeing campus green bikes for under $100 and that is still way more than I am willing to spend for a bike that I don't really need. Sure I can paint that one too and sell it but, I have enough projects.
4. Buy a campus green fork on Ebay. There are two listed now, both are $35 a piece.
5. Give up on campus green and paint it sky blue since I have done it before using Duplicolor and it came out darned good.
6. Mix hunter green and olive green together, add some clear coat that should be close enough. Ok, I was just throwing this out there, I won't actually do it.

Here is is back in silver.

Or keep it silver. It doesn't look too shabby.

Thanks @1motime that acetone tip worked great. I still had to sand and reapply silver to get back to even silver coverage as would be expected, but your tip saved me hours!

As this stands I have the following choices:

1. Buy the paint from Koolest Kolors
2. Buy a touch up bottle from Koolest Kolors spray it on a card and bring the sample to my local automotive paint shop who already said that they can match whatever I bring in.
3. Buy a complete bike in campus green to color match. Problem is I am not seeing campus green bikes for under $100 and that is still way more than I am willing to spend for a bike that I don't really need. Sure I can paint that one too and sell it but, I have enough projects.
4. Buy a campus green fork on Ebay. There are two listed now, both are $35 a piece.
5. Give up on campus green and paint it sky blue since I have done it before using Duplicolor and it came out darned good.
6. Mix hunter green and olive green together, add some clear coat that should be close enough. Ok, I was just throwing this out there, I won't actually do it.

Here is is back in silver. View attachment 1242515

Or keep it silver. It doesn't look too shabby.
So what are your plans for the bike after it's painted? Have fun with this. Razin.

Maybe someone here close by can loan you a CG chain guard for a color match.

2020 Mini Cooper color called BRITISH RACING GREEN IV (also available on some 2019 models, was a new color in lineup in 2019)

To my eyes, this is one of the closest available colors today. Do Not Confuse this NEW for 2019 color with the earlier Mini Cooper color which is much darker. The earlier darker color is British Racing Green II which was seen on Mini Cooper models before 2019.

You are likely to see this new 2019 and 2020 Mini Cooper color called British Racing Green IV appear in Touch UP paints at the Advances/AutoZones/Pep Boys/Oreilleys/Car Quests/NAPA within the next few years if not already available now.

Go by a Mini Dealership and look at the 2020 Mini Cooper in British Racing Green IV. If you like the color and think it looks close enough, get the Factory Paint Code, and then you can visit an auto parts or auto paint supply store and get a small enough amount mixed in aerosol spray as one might for large touch up work........this should be enough to paint a bicycle frame in your backyard in rattle can fashion. You can do the same with just about any ancient Automotive factory paint code or paint chip chart. There are hundreds of metallic green shades that will be close if not near perfect from various American and Imported cars from about 1947 to the present day. Metallic green colors on automobiles were most popular during the 1947 to 1973 era, and relatively few green shades were seen after 1973 as green largely fell out of favor. Metallic green was at it's peak of popularity during the fifties, probably during the 1949 - 1961 era. Look at ancient Pontiac, Cadillac, from the forties and early fifties and color charts from nearly all GM brands, FORD/LINCOLN/MERCURY, Chrysler/Plymouth, Nash-Rambler, AMC, VOLKSWAGEN, PACKARD, KAISER-FRASER, and whatever make you wish to view the color chips of. If you find a color chip on some ancient chart that you like, it might be best to have your favorite local paint place "scan" that actual paint chip with their computer. PAINT Chip charts can be viewed in many locations online and one can purchase old paint chip charts for maybe $1 or $2 from various sellers on the bay, or from folks on various automotive forums.

Back