Resurrection vs. Restoration

Discussion in 'Project Rides' started by TR6SC, Jun 26, 2017.

1. #1 Posted Jun 26, 2017

Wore out three sets of tires already!

image.jpeg I'm starting to think my new/old Wingbar is like an adopted pound puppy. A good dog that's been abused. It was purchased sight unseen from a non-bike person. Questions having to do with condition fell upon deaf ears. So the pooch is mine, and that's that!
    Problem #1 was addressed today. The rear axle/chain adjusters were broken many years ago. Someone tried to drill them out. As Alex would say, "Real Horrorshow!" I've got a buddy with an EDM. Electrical Discharge Machine. You put in the electrode that is appropriatlely sized and it eats through whatever is in its way. Now that the steel is gone, I can arc in some aluminum and go about the process of getting some threads in place.
    This bike will never see all the bells and whistles that some have, but it is certainly worth a trip to the vet!
    image.jpeg

2. #2 Posted Jun 26, 2017

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Onward & upward, it can only get better. Looking forward to seeing how you take this.

TR6SC likes this.
  3. #3 Posted Jul 8, 2017

Here's the Beast. The frozen broken axle adjusters are only the start. image.jpeg
    The seatpost will not come out. Neither secret sauce nor heat has helped. The pipe wrench and the vise only mangle metal. Like I said earlier, somebody beat on the brat with a baseball bat! image.jpeg I've chosen to drill. Having only bits up to 1/2", I haven't completed the job. Working gradually, 1/16" at a time, I'm staying centered in the post. image.jpeg I'll finish later this week at a friend's well stocked shop. Sad to say, this slotted sex-bolt was also frozen beyond salvation. It's going to be work, work, work...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    New key!
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg I was able to find a lady's fork that I'm going to spin in the lathe for the 1"-24tpi that it needs further down the stem.

image.jpeg

#3 TR6SC, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  4. #4 Posted Jul 12, 2017

Awesome! Watching this one, I'm sure it turn out just as amazing as the others I've seen you work on! Joe

Cowboy in NC and TR6SC like this.
  5. #5 Posted Sep 13, 2017

Finally got to the seatpost on the Wingbar. My theory was to work up through the drill sizes to always stay centered in the seatpost. The blue tape was the depth of the post, so I didn't want to get off centered. The frame is only 1/16 thick. image.jpeg
    Problem number 2 is that long drill bits are pricey and there is no such animal as an extension. A buddy has a lathe, so I made one. image.jpeg
    I was able to follow the inside hole of the seatpost while stepping up 1/16 at a time. I drilled all the metal except the bottom angled portion of the post image.jpeg
    I want to clean up the top of the seat post. Will one of the experts post a photo showing what that area looks like? Thanks. And, what is the little hole on the casting for? Thanks. Finally, what's the diameter of the seat post? Thanks again.

#5 TR6SC, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  6. #6 Posted Sep 13, 2017

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe

Please keep updating with pictures.