When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resurrection vs. Restoration

-

TR6SC

I live for the CABE
image.jpeg
I'm starting to think my new/old Wingbar is like an adopted pound puppy. A good dog that's been abused. It was purchased sight unseen from a non-bike person. Questions having to do with condition fell upon deaf ears. So the pooch is mine, and that's that!
Problem #1 was addressed today. The rear axle/chain adjusters were broken many years ago. Someone tried to drill them out. As Alex would say, "Real Horrorshow!" I've got a buddy with an EDM. Electrical Discharge Machine. You put in the electrode that is appropriatlely sized and it eats through whatever is in its way. Now that the steel is gone, I can arc in some aluminum and go about the process of getting some threads in place.
This bike will never see all the bells and whistles that some have, but it is certainly worth a trip to the vet!
image.jpeg

Here's the Beast. The frozen broken axle adjusters are only the start.
image.jpeg

The seatpost will not come out. Neither secret sauce nor heat has helped. The pipe wrench and the vise only mangle metal. Like I said earlier, somebody beat on the brat with a baseball bat!
image.jpeg
I've chosen to drill. Having only bits up to 1/2", I haven't completed the job. Working gradually, 1/16" at a time, I'm staying centered in the post.
image.jpeg
I'll finish later this week at a friend's well stocked shop. Sad to say, this slotted sex-bolt was also frozen beyond salvation. It's going to be work, work, work...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

New key!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
I was able to find a lady's fork that I'm going to spin in the lathe for the 1"-24tpi that it needs further down the stem.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally got to the seatpost on the Wingbar. My theory was to work up through the drill sizes to always stay centered in the seatpost. The blue tape was the depth of the post, so I didn't want to get off centered. The frame is only 1/16 thick.
image.jpeg

Problem number 2 is that long drill bits are pricey and there is no such animal as an extension. A buddy has a lathe, so I made one.
image.jpeg

I was able to follow the inside hole of the seatpost while stepping up 1/16 at a time. I drilled all the metal except the bottom angled portion of the post
image.jpeg

I want to clean up the top of the seat post. Will one of the experts post a photo showing what that area looks like? Thanks. And, what is the little hole on the casting for? Thanks. Finally, what's the diameter of the seat post? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Now that the kinks and twists are out of the bike, I'm going after the other aspects of the damage to the frame.
image.jpeg

Not only were there dings and scratches, the inner surfaces were riddled with casting marks that were never detailed in 1936. Hmmm, imagine that!
image.jpeg

These craters need to be filled in order to save the Serial #s.
image.jpeg

More heavy filing to smoooooth.
image.jpeg

The broken adjusters and the broken drill bits are now gone. These areas will be filled with molten lava or aluminum, whichever is available. I'll drill and tap through solid metal.
image.jpeg

What a mess. These axle slots will get squeezed to 3/8" and more filling and filing to tidy up the rear end.
image.jpeg

I'm looking forward to going at this bike with some fine grit sandpaper, at least #1500.

Baby Steps! After filling the cut out drop-outs, I did some rough shaping to get things into shape, and finally drill and tap.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

#3 drill bit (0.213") leaves just the right amount of metal to cut the 1/4-28 threads. The rear end is now ready to grind and sand to #220.
image.jpeg

Once all areas of the Wingbar look like this, I will decide how polished it's going to be. I'm starting to think along the lines of #600, followed up by Scotchbrite.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back