When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resurrection vs. Restoration

-
I'm feeling a lot better about my choice to forego the insanity of ultra-sheen. I'm only going to #400 with the sanding. It looks like a very smooth bike that shines, but without the "in your face who chromed the bike let me leave my fingerprints."
IMG_2500.JPG

No use of a buffer, just paper and polish.
IMG_2501.JPG

Repro rack looks pretty good. Don't tell anybody it's fake.
IMG_2502.JPG

Last edited:
Big day today. I got the rest of the bike caught up in sanding. The frame looked a little rough at 400, so I took it up a notch to 600. Tomorrow I'll follow suit with the forks and rack.
Sitting in front of the piano it reminds me of an étude: a short instrumental composition designed to provide practice for perfecting skill.
IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

I am so impressed at your ingenuity. I really enjoy repairing others' poor repairs and bringing things back to new. Your solution with the ipe and the woodworking vise was clever. I'll be copying that next time I need to gently straighten bent metal. Well done sir.

I do things backwards sometimes. The inside of the BB and headtube were filthy, so a good soaking in kerosene and a bath in Simple Green was needed.
IMG_2558.JPG

Time to start the key making process. Each half blank must be filed separately to cut the key to the lock.
IMG_2559.JPG

The forks and rods are cleaned up and ready to go.
IMG_2561.JPG

@ratrodz brought the Wingbar's textured section to my attention. Seems there weren't many of these made as innies. Most are outies.
IMG_2562.JPG

The fun is about to begin. Assembly will be with a variety of pieces old and new. I've got a big shopping list from fenders to a stand. Maybe @Balloonatic wants to part out his Wingbar. "Dibs on the headlight!"

Last edited:
I do things backwards sometimes. The inside of the BB and headtube were filthy, so a good soaking in kerosene and a bath in Simple Green was needed.
View attachment 951836
Time to start the key making process. Each half blank must be filed separately to cut the key to the lock.
View attachment 951837
The forks and rods are cleaned up and ready to go.
View attachment 951838
@ratrodz brought the Wingbar's textured section to my attention. Seems there weren't many off these made as outies. Most are innies. View attachment 951839
The fun is about to begin. Assembly will be with a variety of pieces old and new. I've got a big shopping list from fenders to a stand. Maybe @Balloonatic wants to part out his Wingbar. "Dibs on the headlight!"

Most were stippling (out) vs dimpling (in).
I've only seen a few like yours... @TR6SC
Dibs on your wingbar if you decide to part

Wow! Interesting observation there @ratrodz... I didn't pick up on the difference, but you're right, my wingbar dimples are "outies" and Mike's are "innies"... sorta like belly buttons.

Mikey, keep dreaming about me parting out my orig. wingbar... even after I'm gone, my wife is smart enough not to part that bike out; I've warned her about you. ;o)

Wow! Interesting observation there @ratrodz... I didn't pick up on the difference, but you're right, my wingbar dimples are "outies" and Mike's are "innies"... sorta like belly buttons.

Mikey, keep dreaming about me parting out my orig. wingbar... even after I'm gone, my wife is smart enough not to part that bike out; I've warned her about you. ;o)
Where's the "DISLIKE" button?!!!

Last edited:

At first I thought someone made an oopsy to the frame and over polished it and wiped out the wings stippling... but, I've been patient and have been asking other wingbar owners to see theirs. And... bam!!! There's Mikes with the same dimpling! ! ! Superexcited to figure this silverking mystery out... maybe, first runs??? Idk...

Back