When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retrospect 65

-

68_STINGRAY

Finally riding a big boys bike
Circus act

I had decided to start another build, I started by looking on Ebay for a 60-69 Schwinn Stingray frame that i could start my design on, to my surprise i found a 1965 Stingray for 79$. What made this frame unique from the others was it had a raked neck, which i was planning on doing to the frame i bought any way's, so that made this build a little more easy and less expensive. I have a speedo with original chrome, it has pitting on it so i may have it replated,My plan's are to have it engraved and replated and much more. For now i will leave you with photo's of the bike frame it's self and a mock up to show how low and slick it look's.

DSCN4444.jpg

DSCN2261-1.jpg

Last edited:
So today i already started working on the frame by cutting the added brake cable clip's off and started smoothing out the area were i cut them off. I pulled out my die set ready so i can put a thread into the hole that bolt's the rear fender on, Im doing this so i can finesh capping off the area behind the seat post and still bolt the rear fender in place.

Mask to protect my lung's.
dscn2050h-1.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and let's not forget the goggles to protect my eye's.
dscn2051g-1.jpg

Started removing the clip's, on a side note, for you young guy's/girl's that might read this thread and follow my build, use protective gloves when working a grinder, if it is your first time working one dont attempt to hold it with one hand, it is very dangerious and can cause injury. (((YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)))

DSCN2054-1.jpg

photo sharing

DSCN2055-1.jpg

Today we reaceved the propper saw's and other tool's we need so i can continue cutting off the added licence plate clip on the left side of the frame near the drop out's.

Last edited:
Lookin good.I usually stop with the grinder just before removing all the tab and finish up with a large(or med.)hand file.Makes for a smoother finish and a good sharp file works fast too.
also you might want to double check the clearance those forks have against the tank---hitting the tank was a common problem on the phantoms.If a problem you might widen the forks and add a wider tires too,for the old school look that's getting popular with motorcycles.

Lookin good.I usually stop with the grinder just before removing all the tab and finish up with a large(or med.)hand file.Makes for a smoother finish and a good sharp file works fast too.
also you might want to double check the clearance those forks have against the tank---hitting the tank was a common problem on the phantoms.If a problem you might widen the forks and add a wider tires too,for the old school look that's getting popular with motorcycles.

Thank you for the advice Sam, the clearance i have been looking into. In the mock up photo i took, i actually hadn't put the bearing cup's or bearing's in, on the grinder i didn't have a file on hand to use on this, but i cleaned up the bar's today, which i will be posting up shortly.:cool:

Here is a close up of the mock up from the other day.

dscn2047k-1.jpg

Last edited:
So today i went to the depo and picked up a new grinder because two thing's acured during working on the frame today, one the cord accedently caught the grinsing wheel and took a chunk from the cord, and to make thing's worse, the grinder stopped working while i was cutting the other clip off.

The ugly added license plate clip.
dscn2062n-1.jpg

The old grinder R.I.P
DSCN2068-1.jpg

photo sharing websites

The knoch cut in the cord.
DSCN2071-1.jpg

photo sharing websites

Back