Ride on road or sidewalk? Your choice, and is it law where u ride?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nashman, Jul 4, 2017.

1. #1 Posted Jul 4, 2017

Finally riding a big boys bike

We have more and more bicycle paths and lanes being developed in our city. Given the choice, where do you ride?

Again, I quote my comment in "8 ball is ok"

It is illegal to ride on most sidewalks in my Canadian city, but I still do. ( they don't enforce too strongly, especially if you have grey hair and are riding a 65 year old Schwinn or Rollfast). I also ride a motorcycle and the average automobile driver doesn't even look for 2 wheeled riders. You should see the crazy cyclists riding on snow and ice at 30 below with the CARS!! It only took me a few times crashing on ice to get the hint?

dnc1 likes this.
  2. #2 Posted Jul 4, 2017

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Bike paths. Lots of nicely maintained and LOOONG ones very near my home.

Mike

Rollo, rollfaster, vincev and 4 others like this.
  3. #3 Posted Jul 4, 2017

I try to take the side walk when I can. About 80% of my commute to work has side walks. I'm honestly not sure of I'm allowed to do it, but no one has stopped me and when I see a cop I awkwardly scoot down a side road so I'm not worth their trouble.

Drivers in Western PA give no ducks about bicycles. Of course the scariest road on my route has no sidewalk, so I white knuckle it on the side of the road staring at the thorns and brambles wondering when I'll go crashing over the guard rail and into them to spare myself.

I'm also weary of crossing roads while on the sidewalk. I always look and assume someone will turn blindly into me.
    It takes a lot of the fun out of riding unfortunately, but I try to be safe and remind people the road isn't just for cars. It's a small enough area that when people do stop me to chat, I hear that the whole town has been a-buzz about the goofy looking bike some girl has been riding.... So at least people aren't ALWAYS looking at their phones if they spot me.

On leisurely rides, I stick to back roads and stay on the road however, but most of my leisurely rides are on roads against the water where the parks are, so everyone is in the same mindset.

dnc1 and Nashman like this.
  4. #4 Posted Jul 4, 2017

I live for the CABE

If you want to survive here...stick to sidewalks.....

bikesnbuses, Nashman and schwinndoggy like this.
  5. #5 Posted Jul 5, 2017

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe

I have ridden on main roads where there is plenty of room, and / or the sidewalk is damaged or non-existent.

I tend to ride fast, so I avoid busy streets and sidewalks altogether and ride for leisure on the trails.

Nashman likes this.
  6. #6 Posted Jul 5, 2017

Although it’s illegal to ride on the sidewalks where I live, it is never enforced.
    I used the sidewalks when the streets are heavy with fast traffic and motorists
    are driving & texting.
    I live near a residential area where the homes are from the 1920s & 30s.
    The is no traffic except for the gardeners mowing the lawns.
    I find it perfect when I ride my bike from that time period.

Most of the bike trails are used by the modern speed bikes where I live.
    They are dressed in tight cycling clothes and go fast.
    I prefer a more leisure ride, stopping at a local diner for a drink or snack.

dnc1, ccmerz, Barto and 2 others like this.
  7. #7 Posted Jul 6, 2017

Side walks and busy streets are a last resort for me. I prefer bike paths, gravel or dirt trails and side streets. Personally, I have been involved in more accidents/altercations on sidewalks than on the street. The only time I ever got broken bones while riding a bike was when I was on the sidewalk. A car flew out from behind a row of hedges and hit my bike pretty hard. I never actually touched the car, just got launched over the hood and broke my wrist.

It seems like drivers have a hard time judging the speed of a bicycle on a sidewalk. Or they just aren't paying attention, witch seems the new norm for driving nowadays. There are just way to many poorly designed sidewalk/driveway intersections for me to feel comfortable riding on the sidewalk for more than a few blocks if its too busy to ride the street. Almost all of the time I'm able to find an alternate route. I'm lucky in a way that I live in suburbia with more than enough (flat cruiser friendly) side streets right outside my front door so it's pretty easy to ride pavement and not be bothered. Chicagoland also has a pretty good network of rail to trail bike paths too.

I always watch a drivers hands in relation to the steering wheel or watch the front tires if I can't see hands. It least that gives me a few seconds more to react if need be.

As far as bikes on sidewalk laws, the downtown area near me doesn't allow bikes or skate boards, but I've never seen it enforced. Probably low on the list of priorities for the cops.

Nashman likes this.
  8. #8 Posted Jul 6, 2017

I live for the CABE

Texas.........what's a 'Bike Path'?o_O

dnc1 likes this.
  9. #9 Posted Jul 6, 2017

It's the law here to be in the street. I had some fat piece of #### yell at my 7 year old daughter to get off the sidewalk and into the (major) street. I saw the lady coming up and even had my daughter stop and move to the side as she was getting close. I was pissed! I said, FU fat### and was going to really tear into her but icecream was calling our names.

#9 Robertriley, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    rollfaster, Nashman and dougfisk like this.
  10. #10 Posted Jul 6, 2017

Bike paths are beautiful around my area.No reason to ride in the street.

Nashman likes this.
  11. #11 Posted Jul 7, 2017

Wore out three sets of tires already!

Over here in the UK it's technically illegal to ride on the path (sidewalk) unless you are a child, but everyone does it occasionally.
    Dedicated cycle paths are popular, but not with modern road bike users I notice.
    Last year pedalling out into the maelstrom that is the Place de Republiqe in Paris was initially daunting, but you get far more respect from other road users in Paris than you do in London!
    It's also illegal to ride on some footpaths (off road trackways) over here.

Nashman likes this.
  12. #12 Posted Jul 8, 2017

I live for the CABE

the state of California has no specific law about bikes and sidewalks, but leaves it up to the cities to decide.

I usually ride in the street. But my attitude is, I'll ride where it's safe, regardless of the law.

If I'm in the street, legally, and get honked at, yelled at, cut off, or worse, I'll retaliate with a middle finger, or even better, shake my fist at the offending driver.

No one except your grandparents remember when shaking your fist at someone was a big insult, so it's pretty funny.

I've also kicked people's mirrors off, dented a few doors, and bent a door backwards after skidding into it.

These are extreme situations. I'm not mad max on a bike, but adrenaline takes over during near death experiences.

If I am riding on a sidewalk, I check for cars, yield to them if I have to, and ride slower, like a pedestrian.

Living in southern california is interesting. The closer you get to the beach, the nicer drivers are. Go inland, and you're treated like a homeless guy on a stolen bike.

13. #13 Posted Oct 13, 2017

Out Riding; Collecting Smiles

I ride from my house in FV, OC, SoCal often with Hippie Mike.
    Cory lives close and hates riding streets because of traffic; we do Beach Rides.
    Mike has been hit by cars more than once.
    I ride as if invisible; most drivers don't see me until its too late for them to do anything about it; I already have my route picked behind the moving car....

I time lights, run lights, ride on sidewalks on the wrong side of the street; Don't follow me.....
    The other day I was in the correct bike lane rolling through a red light towards opposite directions' left turn green light; that I was timing to go after the cars. The Cadillac saw me but the driver didn't. The car stopped abruptly and the driver through up her hands wondering "WHAT For?"

Be careful out there; the cars are smarter than most drivers.
    IMG_3196.JPG

Ridemore and rustjunkie like this.
  14. #14 Posted Oct 13, 2017

Can’t ride on side walks here in St. Louis, or at least burbs. People still do, but I prefer to hit the trails. Too crazy here in the streets!

15. #15 Posted Oct 13, 2017

Anything but the street.We have bike paths that are beautiful and connect to other towns.Much safer without cars.

16. #16 Posted Oct 13, 2017

Wore out three sets of tires already!

WWHMD What would Hippie Mike do?

tripple3 and rustjunkie like this.
  17. #17 Posted Oct 13, 2017

Out Riding; Collecting Smiles

Hippie Mike obeys all traffic laws at all times.
    He gets pulled over by the cops just because of "Style"
    He has been hit by cars and so he rides faster.
    I have watched him hand signal to pull his bike to the right, stop signal, and put his foot on the curb for an oncoming fire truck with sirens blaring.
    Hippie Mike is a Great Example!
    This is in the outside left turn lane, waiting for our turn; Track Stands for Days.....
    IMG_1559.JPG IMG_1518.JPG ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459513066.631750.jpg 57c61b051b4daed3d8a5ffbddd33c07a.jpg
    Enjoy the Ride!

Ridemore likes this.