When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

riders, racing, pacing

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Fantastic terminology Marty...thanks for that! Braking seems to have been terrifying if you had to...
Beautiful bike, Tad!
Thanks, Pete.
It’s a lot to take in, but I got a kick out of reading that program for the 1948, 6 Day Bike Race.
What a brutal competition.
I’m surprised, they could get anybody to participate in it.
Definitely a modern day gladiator sport.

You don't see many lady racers from this time period.

s-l225.jpg

Two more from Palma de Mallorca in the Balearic Islands of Spain.
Previously I'd mentioned the 'ABC' marque.
My good friend Jaume has, in the past few months, discovered two further examples from his home town. The first one is from 'Darder Hermanos', the one below is from 'Ciclos Maimo'......
IMG-20210211-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20210312-WA0004.jpg

Darder Hermanos were one of the biggest cycle stores around 1910 in Palma. Building their own frames as well as retailing bikes from England and France.
Interestingly, Rafael Maimo, the proprietor of 'Ciclos Maimo' was a very young apprentice framebuilder (from 15 years old, and already 3 years into a bicycle shop career) at 'Casa Bibiloni' home of 'ABC' before setting up on his own.

Last edited:
You don't see many lady racers from this time period.

View attachment 1392804

I think lady racers were quite common, especially at big events, but possibly only as a novelty entertainment between big money races.
Which is a real shame when you consider the impact of cycling on the emancipation of women across the globe.
But you're right, it is unusual to actually see an image of one, but great to see.

A recent blog about Harry Elkes:

Back