When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Riding in this heat

-
Actually, the electrolytes are more important than the water.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/vertigo-lets-hear-your-story.132520/#post-890021

Learned from my daughter the nationally ranked wrestler (she trains in un-air-conditioned gyms in the s. TX summer),
I keep Smart Water in my bike water bottles.
Good food to bring along includes bananas and oranges. Nothing tastes like an orange at a 25-mi water stop.

OTo7p1h.jpg

Last edited:
You get into a "groove" while riding on your familiar course at your familiar pace, and this can mask the fact that you've overdone it a bit. You need to set a "hard limit" when it's really hot and humid. Don't fall into the trap of "I feel fine, I can go another 20 minutes." I've had plenty of times when I ride in very hot weather where I actually feel worse right after I stop than when I'm riding. If you're "in a groove" and doing your usual thing, you can miss the signs of overheating.

In the heat and especially humidity, it always feels worse when you get off the bike - the humidity closes in on you. Your perspiration goes exponential, because you still have your pedaling respiration and pulse, but you've lost your convective cooling, and evaporative cooling doesn't work in humidity. It takes several minutes to tach down, and if you've been riding at any kind of clip. you'll soak through with sweat almost instantly when you stop, though you may have had very little sweat while you were moving - an important time to hydrate.

Another dehydration alarm - if you have any bad joints, they'll begin to hurt if you're dehydrating.

If you're truly pedaling in the zone, there's no difference between 25 miles and 40 miles, and really, the next wall you'll hit is somewhere around 65 miles, and then because of your total calorie drain (that's about 4000). All these numbers assume you're staying hydrated and pedaling at your proper heart rate.

As far as weight-class athletes go, everything about their bodies is in total control, especially their hydration state. They spend all week every week honing their muscle and body weight.

n4txRZh.jpg

Look at how the sedate, rotund Bobsey twins pace stupidity - there's certainly no limitation for them, as long as their hearts are still beating.
Implying my daughter has body odor, or that anything about her is any of their editorial business - or anything about me, for that matter - their obsession is downright homosexual. Imagine if they turned any of that effort into a real activity - they too might reach an accomplishment in life.
Me, I've never had a problem being affectionate with sweaty girls and women.

Last edited:
Back