When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Riding on metal clad wood rims?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

brucejr

Finally riding a big boys bike
I had a few questions in a previous post, most of which were answered.

One that didn't get answered- Is it a mistake to actually ride a bike with metal clad wood rims?

I don't plan on riding it that often, maybe a few times a year. I weigh about 175 and would ride 6-8 miles each time. The wood is in good shape, the metal clad is pitted but seems structurally pretty sound.

I would hate to damage the rims but I have a strong preference for bikes that I can actually ride.

Bruce

You should not have any problem, think of those wheels as steel with a wood core. Even wood wheels are quite strong when properly laced and tensioned.

You'll need a good set of tires.Wood does dry out but it's also fairly strong if in good shape.i weigh about the same and have ridden on a set I have.

I rode on a set of 28ers that were wood, no clad. One joint looked weak, but really wasn't bad. I actually had 27" Schwinn sport touring tires on it, tubes and all. It rode fine, never had any problems. I imagine with proper single-tube or sew-up tires it would have been better. But the schwinn was on the bike when I got it, so I found another one to match and went on with it.

Thanks.

Mine has 26x2.125 clinchers so the tires are big and will help too.

I do get the concept of the rim being steel with a wood core, but the steel cladding is much thinner than most rims and the spokes seat on wood. These are two big differences to me which is why i asked the question.

I also figured lots of you would have some experience and it seems like you do.

Thanks again.

Its a weekly rider. I got the same rims. Make sure PSI is high. If PSI is low, tire can spin and shear stem. Glue for the tires to the rim is a good idea also.

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 68
Back