When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Riding Tips For Classic Antique Bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hmm.......riding "tips" for older bicycles is sort of ambiguous, but if it is mechanically sound, with good rubber, and you are prepared with tools and parts on your ride, the most important IMO is wiping the bike down before riding it. You will discover problems before they become problems. I like to flip my bikes upside down to clean the wheels and check spoke tensions or if you have one, use your stand. Always Clean your chain with an old towel while spinning the cranks back and forth. Dry chains are like a brake and dirty chains are no better. Bike fit, saddle choice and shoes are key as well?

So I was JRA on klunker hilly area, over torqued downstroke and chain snapped. Thus no coaster brake. On downhill, decided to try out foot braking on rear wheel, literally placed bottom of shoe flat against rear tire and applied pressure while coasting several downhills, ranging from 8 to 13% grade. Surprisingly works very well and not too awkward. But rubber sole got groovy.
Pics to illustrate shoe position and effect of braking on soles. I guess similar braking principle as kick scooter foot on rear wheel.

here's the best tip. don't crash. I've only wrecked on my mountain bike.
Frontier Vans (2), on the Bike Path, after noon on a Sunday, with crowds of people...
I was passing the second van, driver didn't check his blindspot, turned into me, knocking me to the pavement.
I'm OK!
Driver was shaking, and apologizing. HB Fire was at the scene, watching it happen, slow motion.🤣
IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

The Bike is FINE!!! ima lil sore....

Frontier Vans (2), on the Bike Path, after noon on a Sunday, with crowds of people...
I was passing the second van, driver didn't check his blindspot, turned into me, knocking me to the pavement.
I'm OK!
Driver was shaking, and apologizing. HB Fire was at the scene, watching it happen, slow motion.🤣
View attachment 1875076

View attachment 1875075
The Bike is FINE!!! ima lil sore....
So glad you're ok! (& your bike, too)

It is good that you are OK. One thing that has always bothered me, and which always remains true, is that you can do everything right and still get brushed or hit. I ride on state and local roads with LED lights, stay to the right, behave as predictably as I can, and there are still drivers that pass too close or don't check their right turn (the old car turns in front of bike routine). I knew a guy in DC who kept a 3 foot pool noodle strapped sideways to his rear rack to remind drivers to give him space. I'm not there yet... but it doesn't seem as foolish as it did the first time I saw it.

I ride on the local beach bike path, to avoid cars and traffic, as it seems a little safer place to ride than out on the street.
But, in all reality, it actually seems to be a lot more dangerous, especially this time of year.
There always seems to be some special event going on, that puts service vehicles, mixed in with the usual throng of tourists, and none of them ever seem to realize, that they’re crossing a busy cycle path.
When was the last time you ever saw a pedestrian look both ways before crossing?
It doesn’t happen. Ever!
They don’t even look up when you sound your bell.
Totally oblivious to the busy world around them.
It makes you wonder how they got this far in life?
You’d like to just drill them at a full clip, but of course you’d be seen at fault, and they’d be totally shocked that they got mowed down by 100 pound Shelby Airflo.
It’s amazing to me, but then, I’ve become accustomed to it, so I just ride in steath mode, and just anticipate what ever stupid move they are about to make,
After awhile, you can tell what they are going to do, even before they know what they are going to do.
It’s like a dance carefully choreographed just getting from point A to point B.

I’m glad, you made it somewhat unscathed, Mark. @tripple3

My guess is, that the driver learned nothing from your experience, and that he’ll continue on, as though he’s the only guy on the planet,
Unfortunately, that just seems to be the way it is, in today’s modern world.
🤨

Do not!
Ride off of a drop off, with a long duck tailed Elgin Robin front fender.
Damage will occur.

View attachment 786381
This fender survived 80 years without damage, but it only took one careless act in 2018 to kink it and crinkle the paint.

That's a bummer!
Especially, when it's not your bike.
Me...😊😊😊...Antes...

Me...$#%^&🤬😡😤😤😤😡🤬DESPUES...

@cyclingday
"They don’t even look up when you sound your bell. Totally oblivious to the busy world around them. It’s amazing to me, but then, I’ve become accustomed to it, so I just ride in stealth mode, and just anticipate what ever stupid move they are about to make. After awhile, you can tell what they are going to do, even before they know what they are going to do. It’s like a dance carefully choreographed just getting from point A to point B."
Very well said Marty. I totally 100% agree and then some...nobody cares about cyclists, not even big city Municipalities spokespeople who claim to care deeply. Put your frigging money where your mouths are I say. We are tired of being second class citizens. Cycling comes last, how sad is that? Business as usual. Not all of us who ride regularly are exposed to this madness and are fortunate to have some room to move. There is no solution for this without some sort of separation when it gets busy with high volumes of foot and cycle traffic.
What I find interesting about Marty's introspection is the same thing is happening at our Ski Areas in recent years with the enormous increase in the high volumes of clueless "skiers" who seem to focus only on their cool new gear and outfits then cutting you off with erratic movements . Now that is funny. Nobody knows how to ski any more!! The rules regarding on-slope behavior are now in the distant past. Most attempts at resort skiing this last year resulted in facing a giant slalom course of death packed with beginning and intermediate skiers cutting you off. It is not going to get better down on the strand or here either. You have to be on guard all the time. Otherwise.......you are going down. Mark: we were just talking about this weren't we?

Last edited:
Back