When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Riding Tips For Classic Antique Bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It can be hard to separate tips for "riding" from tips for "maintenance". The two go hand-in-hand; if you're going to ride, you need to do basic maintenance. But let's set aside maintenance for a moment, and focus on just the art of riding.

The first item - always leave enough room to properly stop. Traditional braking systems on old bikes range from decent to bad. Know what your braking system is, and understand its limitations. Leave enough room to stop, understanding that your brakes may require a bit more room to fully stop. Also, understand what it takes to "emergency stop" the bike. Riding does not generally kill - it's the sudden and unintended stop of falling or hitting something that does. Don't tailgate a car at 15-20 mph if you're just going to slam into it because you have old brakes.

Always bring proper lights with you. Understand that vintage lights are poor compared to modern LED and halogen lights. If you're riding at night, make sure you have a modern "helper" light with you to see properly. Also make sure that cars can easily see your lights and reflectors.

If possible, ride with a bell or horn mounted on the bike. Yelling works fine too, but the yelling and the bell together will tell people immediately that a bicycle is nearby. The bell is sort of the universal sound of "bicycle" to many people driving cars.

Do a "weight shift" when hitting bumps. Practice very smoothly and quickly shifting your weight to each wheel of the bike. When you get good at this, you can shift your weight when hitting a bump such that at each moment each wheel hits the bump, the majority of your weight is on the wheel that is on smooth ground. This saves wheel truing effort and time later on.

The basic rules of riding a modern bike on the road also apply, and you should know all of those.

:tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:
now don't get upset, but while maybe kool when you are 10, what is the big deal about riding hands free? or feet on the bars? o_O

27868026_2103085163096512_7722536719606541841_n.png

It can be hard to separate tips for "riding" from tips for "maintenance". The two go hand-in-hand; if you're going to ride, you need to do basic maintenance. But let's set aside maintenance for a moment, and focus on just the art of riding.

The first item - always leave enough room to properly stop. Traditional braking systems on old bikes range from decent to bad. Know what your braking system is, and understand its limitations. Leave enough room to stop, understanding that your brakes may require a bit more room to fully stop. Also, understand what it takes to "emergency stop" the bike. Riding does not generally kill - it's the sudden and unintended stop of falling or hitting something that does. Don't tailgate a car at 15-20 mph if you're just going to slam into it because you have old brakes.

Always bring proper lights with you. Understand that vintage lights are poor compared to modern LED and halogen lights. If you're riding at night, make sure you have a modern "helper" light with you to see properly. Also make sure that cars can easily see your lights and reflectors.

If possible, ride with a bell or horn mounted on the bike. Yelling works fine too, but the yelling and the bell together will tell people immediately that a bicycle is nearby. The bell is sort of the universal sound of "bicycle" to many people driving cars.

Do a "weight shift" when hitting bumps. Practice very smoothly and quickly shifting your weight to each wheel of the bike. When you get good at this, you can shift your weight when hitting a bump such that at each moment each wheel hits the bump, the majority of your weight is on the wheel that is on smooth ground. This saves wheel truing effort and time later on.

The basic rules of riding a modern bike on the road also apply, and you should know all of those.

About the stopping - from the get-go, I designed my build on '92 Viner Pro CX frame to be the ultimate greenway rider. With Paul touring canti brakes and big sticky tires, it will stop from 12 mph in 4 feet, which I have done before with little kids riding kiddie bikes and dad trying to herd them.
I've seen it all on the greenways - yo-yo leashes extended 20' with the dog mastering their "master", wheelchairs, baby carriages, recumbents pointing opposite directions on the trail stopped to chat - wide extended families made up of wide individuals stopped on bridges to gawk. Kids hiding behind overpass bridge pylons, playing chicken by running across the trail in front of bikes. Running groups who intentionally make themselves wide to force you to stop.
rUEJCbR.jpg

lighting - can't beat USB-charge Cygo lights - as bright as you'll ever need, simple to recharge, headlight lasts 4+ hours (who knows how long the tail-light lasts), easy to move between bikes with all the mount options available. Variable brightness and blink modes. You can also carry a spare charged battery for the (Explion model) headlight. Even on touring, you can charge them at night from a 10Ah cell phone charger battery, and go for a long weekend (I have a 24Ah battery pack that will take them for a week).
https://shop.cygolite.com/category.sc?categoryId=31
And they're not just for night-time - you need them at night to see, but you need them in the daytime to be seen.
(vintage bike content - '57 Lenton GP)
S3zWcyA.jpg

Last edited:
now don't get upset, but while maybe kool when you are 10, what is the big deal about riding hands free? or feet on the bars? o_O
When was the last time you felt like you did when you were 10 years old?
We can't do most of the things we did as a child; but feelings are still in there.
It's a cheap child-like rush that makes me smile.
There is some things that are so simple; but feel like nothing else.
I don't think I can explain it. Try it.
IMG_E0410.JPG

When was the last time you felt like you did when you were 10 years old?
We can't do most of the things we did as a child; but feelings are still in there.
It's a cheap child-like rush that makes me smile.
There is some things that are so simple; but feel like nothing else.
I don't think I can explain it. Try it.
View attachment 787742
This is for you and hippie mike

26219437_2038051556266540_3250071231208181002_n.jpg

About the stopping - from the get-go, I designed my build on '92 Viner Pro CX frame to be the ultimate greenway rider. With Paul touring canti brakes and big sticky tires, it will stop from 12 mph in 4 feet, which I have done before with little kids riding kiddie bikes and dad trying to herd them.
I've seen it all on the greenways - yo-yo leashes extended 20' with the dog mastering their "master", wheelchairs, baby carriages, recumbents going opposite directions stopped to chat - wide families stopped on bridges to gawk.
View attachment 787738
lighting - can't beat USB-charge Cygo lights - as bright as you'll ever need, simple to recharge, headlight lasts 4+ hours (who knows how long the tail-light lasts), easy to move between bikes with all the mount options available. Variable brightness and blink modes. You can also carry a spare charged battery for the (Explion model) headlight. Even on touring, you can charge them at night from a 10Ah cell phone charger battery, and go for a long weekend (I have a 24Ah battery pack that will take them for a over week).
https://shop.cygolite.com/category.sc?categoryId=31
And they're not just for night-time - you need them at night to see, but you need them in the daytime to be seen.
(vintage bike content - '57 Lenton GP)
View attachment 787739

Yes - people think the multi-use trail is automatically "safer" than the road. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. The multi-use trails have their own set of issues (people with dogs, people with kids, people on skates or trying to pass when they should not, etc). I ride on some of the quieter local side street and feel safer than I ever did on the multi-use trails in Maryland and northern Virginia. Our trails get VERY crowded.

Yes - people think the multi-use trail is automatically "safer" than the road. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. The multi-use trails have their own set of issues (people with dogs, people with kids, people on skates or trying to pass when they should not, etc). I ride on some of the quieter local side street and feel safer than I ever did on the multi-use trails in Maryland and northern Virginia. Our trails get VERY crowded.
I pick my times on the greenways to minimize pedestrian traffic, know where to expect it, know all the blind curves, climbs, drops, bridges. The crowded trails on the weekends I completely avoid. Always happy to see a confident, well-trained heel hound (mine always were). One nice thing, is many dog-training classes meet at the trailhead parks - those dogs and owners are wonderful, and a good example to the lame. Aside from being the bane of greenways, leashes longer than 6' aren't legal, but that doesn't stop the mindless from creating hazards. Cycling groups larger than 2 or 3 people are also dangerous, because they pass pedestrians as a mindless herd, on bridges, etc.
San Antonio is doing a really good job on our greenways, and eventually we will have 150 miles connected, making it easy to choose good remote rides.
EtAOZHr.jpg

We have one trail that is a national park, connecting the 5 missions, though don't make the mistake of riding this mid-day in the summer, because there is like only two trees remaining along the lower San Antonio River - the channel was scoured long ago for flood drainage from downtown - though they have built some nice gazebos along the trail. The trailhead is also at one of the better brewpubs in San Antonio, Blue Star, and there's a nice bike shop there, as well.
YPjEYi4.jpg

https://www.nps.gov/saan/planyourvisit/hikebike.htm
http://www.sanantonioriver.org/images/SARIP-map/SARIP Full Map-web1.pdf
hDCsSIL.jpg

YMVkfCx.jpg

Guess that brings up another tip - know the weather and plan for it. Clouds, sun, wind, rain, temperature swings. Look ahead hour-by-hour on the weather channel website or somewhere to know what to expect in the ride your're planning. Sailing 10 miles downwind, then turning around can be a shock, and a test of your late-ride endurance (especially for families with young riders).

Last edited:
Back