When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ritchey Everest

-
I think the biggest mistake that you are making in identifying your bike is this

" it's not noted in the catalog but only the Everest had a ring around the top of the seatpost, as mine has, which was to be a mounting point for a rubber seatpost boot they planned but never put into production."

This is not true.

Also, when you read catalogs, you should allow some room for things to be different than the catalog states.

The real serial number records and dates were not saved. What you read on the website is an attempt to piece the information together.

I looked at some of my bikes. I have one frame, the same as yours with the grooved seat collar and the same head tube, it has a fillet brazed bar, but its not clamp-on. I have two other frames that have the grooved seat collar but have a plain head tube.

The very large gun metal grey frame in this thread is an Everest frame.

You should look for a fillet brazed bar for your bike.

Here's a picture of me at the starting line of Repack on my first Ritchey Mountainbike.

repack.jpg

Digging that Ritchey!

I would agree with the Everest ID. Relieved head tube is the identifier. From what I gather it's unique for the Mountain I / Everest frames. I really do quite like mine
Jun 2018 ride.jpg

Your blue bike is an example of an Everest without the clamp-on bar. The red bike at the beginning of the thread is not an Everest. It is a B model also called a Mountainbikes II frame.

Are you certain? It was always my understanding that the mountain bikes II frame didn't have the relieved head tube. The red one above has a relieved head tube that's why I assumed it was a Mountain Bikes I (Oops on the Everest tag, my bad).

Catalog from '82 states the same. That's my only reference as I was 3 years old at the time. 3rd paragraph states that Mountain Bike II's have straight head tubes, Mountain Bike (not II's) have relieved.

Or is an 81 B/Mountain Bike II frame identified by something else other then the relieved head tube. It was my understanding that the relieved head tube indicated a Mountain Bikes I frame & that was carried forward to the Everest.
MountainBikes1982_102.jpg

Last edited:
Your blue bike is an example of an Everest without the clamp-on bar. The red bike at the beginning of the thread is not an Everest. It is a B model also called a Mountainbikes II frame.

I think you're mistaken, it is an Everest. Review my post of 11/16. I gave 5 different points of reference pointing to this frame being an Everest including catalog documentation. So you're contradicting all that with an opinion based on the fact that you hung around the shop in the 80s? Or that you've ridden Repack?
Again, ONLY the Everest was made in this frame size, ONLY the Everest (Mountainbike I) frame was available in colors other than blue and grey, ONLY the Everest offered custom braze ons like the extra bottle bottle mount and rack mounts this bike has (and that's reitereated in the Gary Fisher letter @eshew posted above). I've already said that the handlebars are replacements so don't focus on that but on the frame characteristics as I have above, that's what separates the Everest from the Mountainbike II bikes after all.
Until you can produce some documentation backing up your opinion, as I have, it's just that, one person's opinion.

Last edited:
Eshew, Everests always had the pointy seat cluster like your bike has. The first batch of B models had the special head tube. The subsequent batches did not. Even when Tom Teesdale took over production, the Everest had the pointy seat tube. I own the first Teesdale 21"Fisher Everest.
teesdale_4.jpg

More photos can be seen here.
http://fattiretrading.com/fisher.html

Be careful how you read catalogs.

“The text has disappeared under the interpretation.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Gotcha. Totally agree with you on the pointy seat tube.

For the first batch of B models with the relieved head tube, what specific difference identifies those as a B frame as apposed to an A frame?

Back