When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Riva Sport Wheelset Replacement?

-

CTony

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello Folks,I’m interested in hearing thoughts pictures knowledge on replacement wheel set for a Riva Sport bike i pickup. Wheels are to rusty to use.Rear wheel came with a brampton 3sp #140 Tire sizes 26x1 3/8 I believe backspace 116mm front wheel just as bad spacing 96mm.I’ve already uploaded photo.but,I’ll upload some more.Also,I came a some # under bb need to clean them word Nervex can be seen.Thank you

49504E56-3882-456A-A005-F89A6C98BF64.jpeg

5E09253C-BE29-4E83-A950-5B529B9B37FE.jpeg

415651BB-BE44-43BD-A83C-F2B118DC9CEB.jpeg

9A074E85-973F-4C33-81FA-AD3F7233D8F4.jpeg

Brampton is going to be pretty close to Sturmey Archer dimensions, if it's a common post-war Brampton. I'd look for a wheelset from a Raleigh-derivative bike with Endrick rims (Phillips, Hercules, Robin Hood, etc.). If you're running common 26 x 1 3/8 tires already, chances are the rims you have now are close to English type ISO 590mm dimension. The plus is that you can get such a wheelset relatively cheaply because they're common to post-war low and mid range English bikes.

What I would do is simply swap in the English wheelset and check for fit. I would leave the original wheelset intact and set aside. I would not pull the old wheels apart and change the rims because you may want to set the bike back to original later on.

I'd love to see more pictures of the bike. I like those lugs.

-----

thank you so much CTony for sharing this fascinating find!

the Riva-Sport marque is one with a long and well documented history -

it is derived of Cycles Alphonse Thomann of Puteaux France which launched in 1900.

here is a head emblem from an Alphonse Thomann machine which exhibits a strong resemblance to that of your bicycle -

a Thomann head emblem from back when the firm was located in its place of origin, Puteaux -

post card image of a Thomann sponsored racer ca. 1919 -

coming up to a slightly later era -

in 1949 the Thomann and Riva Sport marques became the property of an entity termed SCCM which stands for Societe des Constructions Mecaniques. this firm based in Vichy, France. production in that year was approximately 3000 machines.

your example appears to date from this post-1949 era.

---

on to your cycle -

frame -

head lugs are NERVEX feature cut pattern nr. 86bis

their nozzle cut is not shown well enough in images provided to make an identification

from what can be seen in photos fork crown appears it may be NERVEX pattern Nr. 2

seat lug and bottom bracket shell models cannot be identified from photos provided

markings on bottom bracket shell -

there appear to be at least three of these

the set immediately below the NERVEX name indicates technical information such as the angles and diameters of the shell's socket openings and is not a serial nor a model number

the largest font set of markings were put in post-manufacture and may have been done by a licnesing agency

there is a third set of smaller markings between the two which may be an actual serial from the manufacturer

pump pegs are NERVEX item Nr. 848

frame tubing and threading will be of metric dimension:

top tube 26.0mm diameter

down and seat tubes 28.0mm diameter

steerer 25.0mm diameter

bottom bracket threading 35.0mm X 1.0

steerer threading 25.0mm X 1.0

---

fittings -

the brake pads in both calipers are set at/near the top of the adjustment slot

this indicates a mis-match between the calipers and the wheel diameter

bicycle manufacturers typically select a caliper reach for a model of bicycle so that pads will be at/near the centre of the adjustment slot

calipers in this case appear they may be CLB brand

possible wheels may not be original to bicycle; check rims for manufacturer marking, if manufacturer french they are probably original, if manufacturer british they are probably replacements

if wheels replacements it is likely that originals were size 650B

the 96mm dimension you found for the front fork/hub is standard for France at this time

keep in mind the possibility that the cycle may have originally had a derialleur geared drive train of 1/8" 3V or 4V

since the stem is a clear replacement it is possible that the bar and brake levers may also be replacements...

---

readers should be able to give addition information on the cycle with the posting of further imagery

if you ask her to stand for a second photo session please direct her to pose in full sunlight

thanks again ;)

-----

Brampton is going to be pretty close to Sturmey Archer dimensions, if it's a common post-war Brampton. I'd look for a wheelset from a Raleigh-derivative bike with Endrick rims (Phillips, Hercules, Robin Hood, etc.). If you're running common 26 x 1 3/8 tires already, chances are the rims you have now are close to English type ISO 590mm dimension. The plus is that you can get such a wheelset relatively cheaply because they're common to post-war low and mid range English bikes.

What I would do is simply swap in the English wheelset and check for fit. I would leave the original wheelset intact and set aside. I would not pull the old wheels apart and change the rims because you may want to set the bike back to original later on.

I'd love to see more pictures of the bike. I like those lugs.
You know I’ve been looking on CR for a quick buy on wheel set haven’t had any luck yet.So,made a few call to LBS asking for Sun CR 18 shops are telling they nothing vendors are out.Are there any other replacements available?

You know I’ve been looking on CR for a quick buy on wheel set haven’t had any luck yet.So,made a few call to LBS asking for Sun CR 18 shops are telling they nothing vendors are out.Are there any other replacements available?

You have a couple options, depending on how much brake arm reach you have. Some arms can work for both English size and French 650b, but some don't have enough reach. I'd look into both 650b and English 590mm/650a rims after you check to see how much travel you have for setting the brake pads. You may be able to buy 650b rims that fit if there's nothing in the English size.

The CR-18 is an option in the English size. There's a hard time now finding them in-stock. I've variously heard (a) Sun has stopped making the CR-18, (b) Sun still makes them but the Coronavirus pandemic has caused short supply and/or high demand, (c) some mix of both of the above. Whichever is true, people have been having a hard time getting them this year. Everyone seems out of stock lately.

Back