When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Riveted Steel Trike

-

velovia

On Training Wheels
Hello to The Cabe crowd. I've been riding trikes and bikes since the 1950's but this is my first post to this Forum and I am happy to see a section for tricycles. Here's a trike I've had for a number of years but never knew much about it. Riveted steel, wood grips with brass ferrules, cardboard fiber(?) seat, steel cage pedals. I don't find any markings otherwise. Can anyone shed some light on age and manufacturer? My limited research puts it maybe into the early 1900's but when did riveted steel construction give way to welded tubular design in trikes (and bikes)?

DSCN7532.JPG

DSCN7533.JPG

DSCN7534.JPG

DSCN7535.JPG

Looks like early 1900 1910 Gendron pioneer possibly
Strap steel frame construction
Metal wheels with heavy gauge spokes.
Hard to see if Seat post is compression or straight steel construction.
All it’s characteristics point into that direction , era and manufacturer
Nice find.

I'm guessing late 1800s to first decade of the 1900s. During that time period trikes were produced with both steel wheel and rubber tire options, with the rubber tires being narrow and thin like these. Tough to pinpoint a manufacturer if the name is no longer on the frame because there were several makers back then that were building similarly designed trikes. It amazes me sometimes how any of these children's ride on toys survived for over 100 years between battling the elements and escaping being melted down during wartime scrap metal drives.

The latest catalog page I've ever seen where the strap type frame tricycle was offered was 1937...a Toledo Standard trike. Though by that date the tire material used was a larger diameter than this one has.

Dave

Thanks everyone. The seatpost is straight steel going through a cross-brace with a square head set screw.

Back