When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road Bike Frame Differences

-
We all change over time as well. When I was younger I used to keep the bars pretty low. This comment does not have much to do with geometry, but as I got older I found that raising my stance a bit has eliminated much of the back pain I used to experiance, and has made for what I feel is a much more comfortable ride. I now perfer a bike that has the handle bar position at about the same height as the seat, while in my earlier years a bit of a drop never bothered me. I tend to choose comfort over max performance now a days. I also choose a slightly larger frame to what my height would typically indicate as ideal as my arm span is about 4 inches longer than my height.
The leaning on the bars is a bad habit we "grow into"
If you really remember when we were young, we pulled on the bars to help tighten those core muscles. We could also contort our heads into an extreme drop position, which really isn't healthy for shoulder muscles and neck vertebrae.
Even on semi-upright, you should really try to only lean on the bars when braking (no choice). Supporting our weight with core muscles is still the healthy way to go about this. When you lean into core muscles, you get a burst of spin energy to tackle any hill.

Back