When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road master tank bike luxury liner?

-

1937Zenith

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi this is my first post here so any help or guidance would be much appreciated. I am not new to vintage bikes I have owned MANY however I still have a lot to learn so here it goes. I just picked up 2 old skip tooth tank bikes and am trying to learn more about them. One is clearly a road master and it looks to be a luxury liner with some mis matched parts. One thing I find weird though is the horn is mounted to the left tank where all the pics I see online the button is mounted on the right tank. Any insight on why this may be? Also the handle bars look like they are 1930s or 40s but this is clearly a 1950s bike so was there any early models that maybe had this crossbar setup? Last but not least any help identifying the other brown and black bike would be much appreciated. It has no badges

1B90B641-157C-478C-B7C8-9961B4F8CE55.jpeg

Both were made by Cleveland Welding Co. (CWC), and can be dated by the serial # and date code, to the far right of the serial.
Thank you for the response! I’ve had mixed info about the brown/black bike. Some were saying it’s a cwc but others where saying its a Hawthorne with a cwc chain ring. I’ve seen Hawthorne comets and cwc comets so still a little confused on it

Thank you for the response! I’ve had mixed info about the brown/black bike. Some were saying it’s a cwc but others where saying its a Hawthorne with a cwc chain ring. I’ve seen Hawthorne comets and cwc comets so still a little confused on it
About half of Hawthornes made in the '50s were made by cwc! The skiptooth models used the "throwing star" chain ring.

Don’t quote me but I think the early year luxury liner has the button on the opposite side also think they had painted fenders but don’t quote me

Back