When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road Tripping Across America!

-
Sorry I haven't been able to post much the past week, Memory Lane and Ann Arbor were like a whirlwind! Here is the recap of events. Last Tuesday I had a few meetings in Michigan to deliver and pick up bicycles. There was a brief stop over at Jesse McCauley's house. He was a huge help in assisting on the Denver Cycle Co. tandem I purchased the day before in Ohio. We primped and preened this killer machine for submission in the Ann Arbor judged event.

My new baby in the hotel room, she's too big to share the bed...

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

I then arrived at Memory Lane Classics Tuesday afternoon. Usually there are a handful more vendors on this day, maybe the high winds scared them off. A nice Hiawatha Arrow barn find from Kansas or Nebraska showed up. It was a very solid project as past owners protected it with four or five coats of paint. If only these bikes could talk...this one had some event occur on the left side (not shown) as there was damage on the rear rack, it lost the extra tank panel detail, and the bars were tweaked on that side; all very fixable.

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

From Wednesday thru Friday was bicycle nirvana! The flurry and action of bikes and parts coming and going in every direction cannot be described in words. Because MLC goes over several days people arrive at all different times the pace is relaxed. I call it the "slow burn" event whereas Ann Arbor's vibe is very different. At Memory Lane you have the luxury of meeting new friends and really discussing bicycles.

Because the event is large and sprawled over two fields it is hard to see everything unfold. Often things get delivered which are quickly squirreled away from prying eyes. Every year there are bicycles that only hit the ground for the briefest of moments only to vanish...CWC Y-frame. Fact or fiction? Chinese whispers spread across the fields creating a sense of hope for everyone, the next "big score" could be on that pick-up that just rolled in from somewhere in Middle-America.

IMG_3605.jpg

IMG_3608.jpg

IMG_3603.jpg

Friday: drive back up to Michigan for Ann Arbor. I feel like I am just getting my sea-legs for the hard core fast past action of Ann Arbor. This year was a little different as vendors were allowed to arrive on Saturday afternoon. The new schedule did not curtail the energy, within minutes of the gates opening I found myself literally 60 seconds too late, someone had just scored a D & G TOC racer and a Pierce roadster. I saw many bicycles sell on Saturday, everyone with "juice" left went (these included a several Ivers (at least 4 sold!), an OG civilian painted WW1 Colombia military framed bike, 20-30's unique kids tandem, 1896 Racycle tandem, and others), a few traded hands a couple times. The best ballooner I saw sell was the beyond words "Pimp my Ride" accessory strained bike Mr. Super Pimp himself purchased. It went to the perfect person, at every event Edwin always has van full of the most tasty parts and accessories you will ever see. He teases us by opening the vehicle's doors so people can peak inside and drool. They are never for sale for us "common-folk," reserved for his special clients who must pay in un-cut diamonds, platinum ingots, or maybe bit-coin. I was able to buy a TOC frame and some parts, photos, and a 1941 bicycle racing autograph book compiled by a Quebec kid. I have to thank a CABER for my AA favorite purchase: this license plate from Bob Dylan's home town, he would have been about 16 years old at the time. Dare to dream...could this be off of Bob's bike?! Another CABE friend said "he got goose-bumps" when he looked at the plate; this little bit of metal is throwing off good energy.

IMG_3779.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3644.jpg

IMG_3648.jpg

IMG_3649.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some of the smalls from MLC and AA. I am showing these images to encourage people to attend and participate at future swaps. I counted five people just from Wisconsin who did not sell Memory Lane this year. In this internet age it is important to support and attend the swap meets so the promotors who organize the events keep having them. The future of the hobby depends on it, not only the exchange aspect, but the sharing of knowledge by senior collectors. Sending huge thanks to Lisa at MLC, Paul Kleppert (and his sponsors) for Ann Arbor, and Scott McCaskey for the CABE & what he does behind the scenes to assist in making the swaps a success!
IMG_3780.jpg

IMG_3781.jpg

Back