When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roadmaster 42084

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Running into tire seating problems. New 26x2.125 tires ( foldable Goodyears from Walmart) just will not seat. I've had three tubes blown apart because tires will not seat. Inflating in increments of 10, 20 30 PSI The bead on the new tires are smaller than the beads on the older tires and are much more pliable. Do I need to try a wire bead tire?

I don't have any experience with those particular tires but have had issues in the past with folded tires. The "crease" from being folded needs to be straightened or it can blow off the rim while inflating. Massage the creases out to get the bead as round and straight as possible. Set them out in the sun to heat 'em up so they take a more round profile. Being folded and crammed in a box they get misshapen and can be hard to mount. Use tire talc on tube and inside of tire and inflate slowly making sure the bead is even all the way around the tire on both sides. Maybe set them in the sun partially inflated to help them regain their shape for a while before finishing inflation. Inflating the tube inside the tire and letting it sit for a few days without mounting on rim can help it take shape again too. This has worked for me in the past with uncooperative tires. Good luck!

I don't have any experience with those particular tires but have had issues in the past with folded tires. The "crease" from being folded needs to be straightened or it can blow off the rim while inflating. Massage the creases out to get the bead as round and straight as possible. Set them out in the sun to heat 'em up so they take a more round profile. Being folded and crammed in a box they get misshapen and can be hard to mount. Use tire talc on tube and inside of tire and inflate slowly making sure the bead is even all the way around the tire on both sides. Maybe set them in the sun partially inflated to help them regain their shape for a while before finishing inflation. Inflating the tube inside the tire and letting it sit for a few days without mounting on rim can help it take shape again too. This has worked for me in the past with uncooperative tires. Good lu

Thanks for the suggestions. I had set them in the sun which did help to round them out. I picked up a "wire bead" tire at the bike shop today and will mount it tomorrow and see what happens.

If those are triple step rims you have to clean every piece of old debris from the rim, or tires will not always stay on. Also, you can only use a single spoke protector, if you double up on those the tires can blow off. Make sure all the spokes are flush and use one rim protector.

That badge is a generic badge, that was used on different bikes sold by Columbus Cycle.
I've seen that badge on a couple of mid-30's Schwinn's lower end bikes.

Back