When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roadmaster

-
The owner doesn't know much about the bike or bikes in general. He couldn't tell me the wheel size but said he measured it roughly at 66". Assuming he measured the circumference I am guessing the wheel size is 20" or 22". I am looking for at least a 26".

Here's a picture of a couple of 1956 Roadmaster fenders. One as found, the other after a bath in Oxalic Acid. Cleaned and regreased all the bearings and put it back together. No investment except tires and it's a good rider.View attachment 1687524
That does a nice job. Is that the same solution as evapo rust?

No. Oxalic acid is a power that you mix with water. Most say about 1 Tbsp per gallon. At the home improvement stores you find it in small 12oz plastic tubs, it’s called wood bleach. On eBay you can buy 5 lb for < $20.

Last edited:
Evaporust and oxalid acid are two different methods. The Evaporust is quite expensive at around $40 a gallon. It works by chelating the iron. Essentially on a molecular level the iron is absorbed in the liquid, up to a 1/2 lb per gallon. The oxalic essentially dissolves the rust plus maybe a bit of metal, not much since the PH isn’t too low. Both are quite effective. Evaporust especially is great for soaking small parts. Evaporust is much slower acting but less damaging to the paints it appears.

The owner doesn't know much about the bike or bikes in general. He couldn't tell me the wheel size but said he measured it roughly at 66". Assuming he measured the circumference I am guessing the wheel size is 20" or 22". I am looking for at least a 26".
He doesn’t have to “measure” it. Ask him to find the raised letters on the side of the tire. Give him some examples: 26x1.75, Wheel diameter = 26, 24 or 20. Tire width = 1.75 or 2.125.

Me again… I’ve been scanning thru classifieds wanting a restoration project. Never done this before, so just seeking info/advice. What is known about Roadmaster bicycles? This one is $125 which I have no idea if it’s a decent price. I’m not much of a shrewd haggler. Year unknown

View attachment 1687297

View attachment 1687298
it's a 24" wheel (28 spokes) Roadmaster, early 60's. If it was me I would walk away, unless I knew a young teen that needed a bike, then I would maybe offer 30 at the most, because of the money I would have to spend to get it road worthy.

Personally I would save my money for something I might be able to get back what I put into it.

He doesn’t have to “measure” it. Ask him to find the raised letters on the side of the tire. Give him some examples: 26x1.75, Wheel diameter = 26, 24 or 20. Tire width = 1.75 or I
He doesn’t have to “measure” it. Ask him to find the raised letters on the side of the tire. Give him some examples: 26x1.75, Wheel diameter = 26, 24 or 20. Tire width = 1.75 or 2.125.
I had already decided against the bike before pursuing any further dialogue with him. I’m keeping my eyes peeled though.

Back