When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocket Racer

-

10~18kustoms

Wore out three sets of tires already!
This project didn't really start out as a racer/roadster/board tracker style bike, but it just kinda has evolved that way! It started when a fellow CABE'er had a Monark Rocket for sale or to part out. I was first just interested in the tank & possibly the chain guard and rear rack because I already had another red Rocket frame and thought these would be a good start to building it out. But, as it turned out I ended up with the whole bike. So now I had 2 frames and parts etc.

At first I was thinking of just trying to find a close patina match front fender and truss rods and building it out as is. But when I had it on the work stand I noticed the frame color was faded to an almost red/orange color. Knowing I had another loose Rocket tank that was also faded to about this same patina I decided to try it on. As it turned out the match was almost perfect, and in my opinion looked better than the original tank. So thus started plan B.

Time for a seat. I had this old long spring saddle laying around for a while that was pretty sad and had a very amateur repair done on it at some point past. I also had some new upholstery material that I thought would be a good color compliment to the bike. I've done a lot of recovers before, but this was a little out of my comfort zone. 1st) Using a new material, my old favorite was discontinued. 2nd) Also trying a different padding material. And 3rd) the big one...first time doing a single pan recover. (before I have only done double pans). Not really happy with the results, but it will do for a rider quality bike like this one.

I've built a few fenderless board track racer style bikes before but they always just seem to look simple and missing/lacking something in my opinion, This bike was already missing the front fender and the rear was badly damaged on the back 1/3 so it seemed a good candidate for the fenderless look, but it just wasn't working for me so I decided to compromise and go with the bobber look. So I trimmed off the damaged part of the rear fender.

20211117_110226.jpg

20211117_211106.jpg

I also really wanted the bike to have a chain guard and remembered how cool this 24" guard I had was and wanted to try to use it. First picture is as I originally found it. It was pretty crusty and back when I was first experimenting with OA a few years ago I dipped it along with a rack for a test. It cleaned up pretty good, but being a 24" guard I have never had a use or bike for it but I so loved the large Rocket graphic on it I've saved it. With a little faux color enhancement and tweaking it now has finally found a home.

I've built a few fenderless board track racer style bikes before but they always just seem to look simple and missing/lacking something in my opinion, This bike was already missing the front fender and the rear was badly damaged on the back 1/3 so it seemed a good candidate for the fenderless look, but it just wasn't working for me so I decided to compromise and go with the bobber look. So I trimmed off the damaged part of the rear fender.

View attachment 1513866

View attachment 1513867
Im likin' that bobbed fender.

Back